Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman synonyms - 12/17/06 06:09 PM
For what it’s worth, some trivia emerging from my study of slang:

Complex (or complicated, knotty, involved, etc) is the only common English concept having no current slang synonym

Upside and downside (As in, “The upside is that the election is over; the downside is that Bush won.”) are the only slang expressions I have so far encountered for which there are no “correct” (or “pure”) English synonyms

There is no correct-English synonym for correct English (in other words, no correct-English antonym for slang)

Owing to time-honored political correctness there is no modern correct-English transitive synonym for dip (one’s) wick or stab in the purely male sense

"Penetrate" comes close but doesn't make the grade (no pun intended) because it doesn't entail the object nor the opening

"Know" and "bed" are hardly current (though the latter qualifies most closely)

"Cover" or "mount" might qualify at the outside though hardly specific to human intercourse

Unless, or course, I’m wrong. If you’re at all interested, please let me know if you can refute any of the above assertions

I'd be happy to fwd you a very pertinent link but protocol forbids me doing so here. I am dalehileman@verizon.net and I don't care who knows it

Thanks all -- Dale
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: doing somebody else's homework - 12/17/06 06:39 PM
Complex (or complicated, knotty, involved, etc) is the only common English concept having no current slang synonym

You might want to study this entry on hairy in the Jargon File. Still being used AFAIK.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: doing somebody else's homework - 12/17/06 07:51 PM
zm, thank you for that, I think it may qualify
Posted By: cheim Re: synonyms - 12/18/06 05:11 AM
Quote:

Owing to time-honored political correctness there is no modern correct-English transitive synonym for dip (one’s) wick or stab in the purely male sense

"Penetrate" comes close but doesn't make the grade (no pun intended) because it doesn't entail the object nor the opening

"Know" and "bed" are hardly current (though the latter qualifies most closely)

"Cover" or "mount" might qualify at the outside though hardly specific to human intercourse

Unless, or course, I’m wrong. If you’re at all interested, please let me know if you can refute any of the above assertions
Thanks all -- Dale

What about "deflower"?
Though this word refers to "knowing" only in a specific context, it still doesn't fall under slang in the dictionary.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: synonyms - 12/18/06 04:13 PM
cheim: Welcome to the board! but "deflower" doen't work as it implies a former state of virginity
Posted By: ParkinT Re: synonyms - 12/20/06 07:54 PM
Would not "pro" and "con" apply to "upside" and "downside"?
Posted By: ParkinT Re: synonyms - 12/20/06 07:59 PM
I am glad you brought up this subject.
I had a puzzling question on my mind that I am certain someone here can help resolve.
The vernacular expression, "to pee" must have some logical root.
I cannot devise/divine/deduce what it could be.
My best guess is that it derives from the childish reference to the toilet as a "Potty" (beginning with "P" you would use the P...)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: synonyms - 12/20/06 08:11 PM
comes from piss, no?
Posted By: ParkinT Re: synonyms - 12/21/06 08:41 PM
Thanks ETA.
It is interesting to see it comes from the French pissier.
I always thought of that langauge as elegant and pretty. (maybe, no more)
Posted By: Faldage Re: synonyms - 12/21/06 11:14 PM
Quote:

elegant and pretty.

I got one word for you:

Bleu.

Make that sound elegant and pretty.
Posted By: wsieber Re: synonyms - 12/22/06 08:19 AM

Bleu...Make that sound elegant and pretty.
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/49/262925.shtml
Posted By: Faldage Re: synonyms - 12/22/06 11:05 AM
I din't say nothin bout tasting good. French is the most degenerate form of Latin imaginable. Anybody who cares about proper usage, grammar and pronunciation should have no truck with French.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: synonyms - 12/22/06 03:45 PM
Park: Thank you for those synonyms. Although I find no support in Cassell's, they do qualify in other quarters, eg, OneLook

Although the pre- might argue that they're not the same part of speech; ie, one would not say "on the pro" because it would translate to "on the on the affirmative side"

(Forgive: As a born-again de- I sometimes take the side of the pre- in order to show how silly it often seems)
© Wordsmith.org