Wordsmith.org
Posted By: ParkinT Battered and Abused - 11/04/06 01:35 AM
I have a long list of "pet peeves" with our beloved langauge. (Perhaps, as an American, I can lay blame on the Brits )
Two that have come to mind most recently involve more the SPOKEN word.

It irritates me to hear "professional speakers" pronounce the word introduce as if it was spelled inter-duce. The dictionary lists this as an alternate, acceptable pronunciation. But it still strikes me as wrong.

In a similar way I am upset when the word "envelope" (the noun, not the verb) is pronounced as though its spelling were: on-velope.

Am I overly-sensitive? Does this strike anyone else? (Should someone else strike me?!)
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Battered and Abused - 11/04/06 10:31 AM
Quote:

Am I overly-sensitive?

Yes.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Battered and Abused - 11/04/06 11:28 AM
Quote:

It irritates me to hear "professional speakers" pronounce the word introduce as if it was spelled inter-duce. The dictionary lists this as an alternate, acceptable pronunciation. But it still strikes me as wrong.

It's called metathesis and it's why we say things like "bird" instead of the correct "brid" and "third" instead of "thrid". It's a normal process of linguistic change.
Posted By: ParkinT Re: metathesis - 11/04/06 12:28 PM
Faldage,
Thank you for teaching me something new today.
Your link reminded me that 'modren' is another mispronunciation I often hear that stikes a nerve. Similar is, "westren".
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: metathesis - 11/04/06 01:03 PM
well, these are modren times....
Posted By: wow Re: metathesis - 11/04/06 05:06 PM
I often hear words pronounced - in a way that seems odd to my ear. Vehicle as Vee-HICK-el and maintenance as main-TAIN-ance are but two that screech across the eardrum.
But then, I am old.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Battered and Abused - 11/04/06 05:57 PM
What gripes me more than interduce is the fact that most times the words following the word are grammatically incorrect.

There is a vast difference between "let me introduce the audience to Joe Schmo" and let me introduce Joe Schmo to the audience." Most of the time the speaker will use the former phrase when he or she really means the latter.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Battered and Abused - 11/11/06 01:33 PM
Whew--just a few days of limited computer time, and I find 141 new posts in Q & A alone. (I am dreading getting back to W & F: 329 new ones.)

Anyway--I do think "professional" speakers (and Presidents) ought to at least bother to pronounce things correctly (er, as in not saying interduce--I don't mean regional differences such as INsurance vs. inSURance). As to envelope--I thought if you said the first syllable as on, it was just a sort-of French pronunciation, as in en garde.
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Battered and Abused - 11/12/06 12:37 AM
Well said, Jackie.
I have had issue, too, with the misuse of the phrase "holed up".
Newscasters describing a fugitive who has hidden himself, will be said to me "held up".
That brings up a question. I have never been quite certain about the phrase "all told". Is it TOLD (as in the tale has been related)?
Or is it TOLLED (as the tally has been completed)?
Thanks for any ideas.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Battered and Abused - 11/13/06 04:58 AM
I suggest searching an eggcorn database. If it's making your heckles rise, that is.
© Wordsmith.org