Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea Corroberate - 11/01/06 01:38 PM
Could some one help out with this word that often crosses my mind.
Corroberate. I often hear it in police serials and I guess it means something like confirm, but there must be a difference. It has a funny ring to it soundwise. Like corroded rollercoaster.
But how is it used?

(Yes, Jackie , I said I would not post for a week, but .... I made it anyway till wednesday, [past noon]
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Corroberate - 11/01/06 01:47 PM
The word is spelled corroborate.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Corroborate - 11/01/06 02:51 PM
Thanks Zmjezhd, both for the spelling correction and the large information link. This will take me to the truth.

[Added this useful site to my favorites . So it is a sort of reinforcement of a confirmation.]
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Corroborate - 11/01/06 03:30 PM
You're welcome, BranShea, and when I have Dutch-specific questions to ask perhaps I can ask you ...
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Corroberate - 11/01/06 06:42 PM
Quote:

The word is spelled corroborate.

This brings to mind one of my nagging queries.
With respect to the word correspondence.
I have always been plagued, in spelling this correctly, with misunderstanding (and mis-remembering) that there are two 'r' and one 'o'.
Intuitively, it seems more correct as co - respondence. As in a cooperative interchange (respondent to respondent).
Other words help to support this idea, such as cooperate, cohabitate, et cetera.
Anyone have further insight on this?

{'s' added as required}
How embarrassing!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: "Correpondence" - 11/01/06 06:47 PM
Could use an s, too.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Corroborate - 11/01/06 07:03 PM
Of course, with pleasure.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Correspond - 11/01/06 07:08 PM
one assumes too much by thinking co + respond; the actual etymology tells the tale:

a. med.L. correspondere, f. cor- = com- together, with each other + respondere to answer
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Correspondence - 11/01/06 10:07 PM
There are actually two o's, as well as two r's, two c's, two n's and three e's.
© Wordsmith.org