Wordsmith.org
Posted By: HighNoon Word for "short denim jacket" of the cowboy - 08/19/06 02:48 PM
Saw this word on a website about cowboys (or maybe clothing terms) but forgot it. Is there a specific name for this type of jacket? I think "bolero" may be right, but that was worn by Mexican charros or South American gauchos. I just thought that the Levi jean jacket, which has now acquired the sexy bad-boy image, was called something else by the cowboys who wore them in the Old West.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Word for "short denim jacket" - 08/19/06 02:54 PM
Your best bet would be to enter "short denim jacket" in OneLook's reverse dictionary. If that doesn't work, you could add "cowboy"
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Word for "short denim jacket" - 08/19/06 09:09 PM
bolo
Posted By: Jomama Re: Word for "short denim jacket" - 08/20/06 03:40 AM
Ted, I grew up here in the midst of cow pastures...before dairies were
considered environmental hazards, and developers started buying up
beef pastures for new houses, because if you build it, they will come,where western wear is a staple local look, but never heard
'bolo jacket', only 'bolo tie.'
But if the short jacket is called that, they should go together well.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Word for "short denim jacket" - 08/21/06 03:22 PM
A gaucho might were a bolero which is a short jacket, but I can't recall seeing one in denim. Bullfighters (toreros) wear a "suit of lights" (traje de luces) which includes a short jacket in bright colors with an extreme amount of embroidery but I can't find a specific name for the jacket by itself other than torero/matador/toreador jacket.
Posted By: of troy Re: Word for "short denim jacket" - 08/21/06 05:42 PM
short (cropped) fitted jackets are sometimes called bolero's too. but i would call a denim jacket a bolero.

i called it a denim jacket. (and unless it was styled differently (a duster, or tailored (suit like)) i would expect a "denim jacket" to be the most common sort, (snap front, long sleeved upper chest pockets (coming out of a shoulder yoke) somewhat fitted, some what cropped.
Posted By: Zed Re: Word for "short denim jacket" - 08/22/06 10:47 PM
We call them jean jackets. The term usually applies only to the short jacket with a waist band and a button or snap front and cuffs. You can have denim or jean blazers, coats etc but they are not real jean jackets.
© Wordsmith.org