Wordsmith.org
Posted By: callithump Whatever you're smoking... - 08/11/06 07:11 AM
Whatever you're smoking, find some people who want to get into sales and share it with them.

Here, what does "whatever you're smoking" mean?

Does it mean "the secret tactics"?

Thanks
Posted By: Faldage Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 08/11/06 10:11 AM
The reference is to some substance such as marijuana that, when smoked, affects your thinking process. The general meaning is that your thinking is wa-a-ay outside the box.
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 08/11/06 11:49 AM
A more common usage would be when someone says something very odd. In such cases you might reply with:

"What have you been smoking?"

If your answer is "DMT", then you're bound to be forgiven for whatever you said. ;-)
Posted By: callithump Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 01/21/07 06:15 AM
What's DMT?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 01/21/07 02:57 PM
calli, my guess is that by a process of semantic shift, the usu meaning as provided by Fal has been stretched to mean, "Whatever is your specialty or line of work"
Posted By: wsieber Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 01/21/07 03:19 PM
"Whatever is your specialty or line of work"
I also rather think along this line, without any direct reference to dope. It could also mean, "whatever your preferences.."
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 01/21/07 10:25 PM
I read it as suggesting that nobody in his right mind could really want to be in sales, but if you do want to be in sales anyway, you need to get others on your sales staff to join you in your enthusiasm.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 01/21/07 10:35 PM
Quote:

What's DMT?

dimethyltryptamine, a naturally occurring or easily synthesized hallucinogenic drug. [M-W]
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Whatever you're smoking... - 01/22/07 03:50 AM
I'm with Faldage. "Whatever you're smoking" definitely refers to dope.
© Wordsmith.org