Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Out the cuts - 08/06/06 02:33 PM
Urban Word of the Day
www.urbandictionary.com

Generally meaning "out of nowhere"....

Gets 12000 Ghits but less than 1000 if you reject hits containing rightpond refs, eg, "uk, brit, aussie, nz....." etc. Has any of you leftponders ever heard the expr--Thanks all
Posted By: Faldage Re: Out the cuts - 08/06/06 03:47 PM
This South Leftpondian has never heard it.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Out the cuts - 08/07/06 04:38 AM
never heard it.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Out the cuts - 08/07/06 12:36 PM
ditto.

You might be better off querying a group of urban yoots, if you can find them, Dale.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Out the cuts - 08/07/06 04:17 PM
Anna: In effect that's what I did when I queried UD

However I'm not surprised that nobody has responded as clearly it's almost exclusively a rightpond expr, while I gather we don't have many such members
Posted By: FNAWrite Re: Out the cuts - 08/07/06 07:39 PM
Hello. First Post.

If there's 12,000 hits, I guess someone says it. thanx for the link to the urbandictionary.

I was less than impressed with this 'wikipedia' of dictionaries. One imagines that people post anything they choose, whether the word/phrase has obtained usage or not. After one imagines this, it is confirmed by entries; one word (three words actually, well, one letter and two words) meaning "joint" is credited to a person who coined it during a random smoke session.

The first entry I viewed was "Calabrese" defined (on recollection only) as from Calabria. This is urban slang?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Out the cuts - 08/07/06 08:30 PM
>I was less than impressed with this 'wikipedia' of dictionaries.

not to be confused with Wiktionary, a sister project of Wikipædia
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Out the cuts - 08/07/06 08:37 PM
FNA: Indeed UD gets bad marks from many quarters. However, they are often the first to spot a neologism, and several entries with similar defs is a good sign, especially if they mostly rate thumbs up
© Wordsmith.org