Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk King(ette?) - 08/02/06 11:57 AM
From today's AWAD definition....

"I chaffered with the king of those people, who was a wise and far-sighted woman, and brought her to understand that it would be much to her advantage to accept from me half the arms and ammunition I had brought with me."

Delia Sherman; The Parwat Ruby; Fantasy & Science Fiction (Cornwall, Connecticut); Jun 1999.

I've never heard of "King" being applied to a woman. Has anybody else? Does anybody know of any other instances when this has happened?
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: King(ette?) - 08/02/06 01:58 PM
I'm not sure I've heard it either, but I don't think it too strange. When refering to a sovereign ruler proper I would think it wrong (since it should probably be 'Queen'), but if it refers simply to someone who is the sole leader of a specific group of people then I don't see why not. That said, Hatshepsut, a ruler in ancient Egypt is sometimes referred to as a 'female king' or 'woman king'.
Posted By: Jackie Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 02:27 PM
I noticed that, too, bel; but took my cue from Fantasy & Science Fiction and figured that was why.
Posted By: Myridon Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 03:47 PM
The King is always a ruler, but the Queen may be a ruler or just some chick married to the King. For example, Queen Elizabeth II is a ruler (Queen Regnant). Her mother was also called Queen Elizabeth while her husband was king, but she didn't even get a Roman numeral for her troubles. (^_^)
Posted By: belMarduk Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 04:04 PM
So the guy married to the Queen is not always a King?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 04:19 PM
Quote:

So the guy married to the Queen is not always a King?

"Why is Prince Philip not King Philip?"
Here's the answer:

In the British monarchy, the husband of a female monarch does not have any recognized special status, rank, or privileges. In actual fact Prince Philip does play a major role in royal affairs, but this is not recognized in terms of his title. Interestingly enough, the wife of a male monarch (e.g. the Queen Mother was the wife of King George VI) takes on her husband's rank and style upon marrying, becoming Queen. - Ask Yahoo
Posted By: belMarduk Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 04:22 PM
Hm. Interesting. Thanks tsuwm.
Posted By: of troy Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 06:51 PM
Its not wise to give parlament the power to make a king--for then, they will have the power to unmake a king..

is allegedly the advise that was given to Vicky when she wanted Prince albert to be make king (so they could be co-rulers.)

William and Mary each had claims to the throne, they were a rare case of being co rulers.

it also depends on rules/laws for kingship.

some 'crowns's don't recognize a daughters right to rule on her own, she must marry a royal prince to become queen --
but some traditions (UK) allow a woman be a prime ruler, (and cast her husband into a secondary role)
Posted By: Zed Re: King(ette?) - 08/03/06 10:23 PM
But only if she has no brothers - at least in the UK. Anne was 2nd oldest but 4th in line until Charles begatted.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: queanish - 08/03/06 11:37 PM
The reason that Elizabeth is Queen is because succession to the British throne is not based on something called Salic law. This same law, which in part bars women from inheriting fiefs, is why Queen Victoria did not become Queen of Hanover instead of Ernst Augustus I.
© Wordsmith.org