Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Musical adjectivity - 07/17/06 03:41 PM
I've just been listening to Philip Glass's violin concerto. Its structure struck me as being very similar to J S Bach's works. How do I describe that? I sure don't like Bachesque and Bachian doesn't sound right, either.
Posted By: HFlower Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/18/06 01:28 AM
The OED vouches for "Bachian." It would seem to be a relatively recent coinage, given how long people have been listening to Bach: the first citation the OED provides dates to 1920, and that citation uses "Bachian" as a noun; the first adjectival usage cited is dated 1945.

Curiously, "Glassian" does not yet appear to have entered the lexicon. I happen to enjoy much of Glass's work, although I know a few musicologists who would argue that there's no need to coin the term "Glassian" when the phrase "maddeningly repetitive" is more than sufficient.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/18/06 09:13 AM
Quote:

... Bachian doesn't sound right, either.

There's always Bachianas Brasileiras.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/18/06 10:30 AM
> Bachianas Brasileiras

nan nan nan, nan nan nan nan, nan nan nan, nan nan nan, nan_nan
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/18/06 11:05 AM
>>maddeningly repetitive

Thanks, HFlower, for the Bachian. I have an OED here but the print's too small and the magnifying glass is, well, maddening. Or madding, even.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/18/06 11:06 AM
Quote:

There's always Bachianas Brasileiras.

Yeahbut® things always sound better in Portuguese.
Posted By: musick Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/26/06 04:53 PM
"maddeningly repetitive"

Must.....resist....temptation...
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/27/06 11:09 AM
There is a new pub game associated with the Internet jukeboxes that are becoming ever more popular. Because there is an enormous back catalogue of music accessible from them one can choose very odd music to put on at, say, 8pm on a Friday - and then sit back and wait for punter reactions. The keyboard works of Philip Glass that drag on for at least 20 mins and involve a single chord being repeated over and over are apparently favourites. There is in fact an eponymic coinage for this sport - but the name fails me at present. Some British musician. Anyway, Glass failed to secure the dubious honour of having 'to glass' mean putting on the most off-putting music in a public place.
Posted By: Jon Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/31/06 05:49 PM
Can I cast my vote for "Bach-analian"?

Please, it's just a joke. No whining. ;-)
Posted By: themilum Re: Musical adjectivity - 07/31/06 08:00 PM
Bach-baroquian
or
Bach-bavarian
or
Bach Bach Bach, Bach Barbara Ann

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Musical adjectivity - 08/01/06 01:05 PM
Quote:

I'd vote for retaining that one....
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Musical adjectivity - 08/01/06 07:00 PM
Quote:

Please, it's just a joke. No whining. ;-)

OOOH. Two puns. Very nice!
© Wordsmith.org