Wordsmith.org
Posted By: foothill Relatives - 06/28/06 04:15 PM
Is there a word meaning ex-son-in-law that is not quite so cumbersome?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Relatives - 06/28/06 05:55 PM
son-out-law.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Relatives - 06/28/06 06:23 PM
Betting there is one in Hindi. If the relative still likes him, the correct word is probably "son".
Posted By: lostnomad Re: Relatives - 06/28/06 08:39 PM
Not a clue, but how about this one?

Some days ago I realised that there has got to be a word that wife number one would use for wife number two in a harem, and vice versa. Tampting to think of Arabic words but in fact Europe also has quite a tradition of Poly-relationships so there has got to be an English word too. Hardly a word I will ever need but curriousity got the best of me so I just had to ask.

Now that I am asking anyway, how would husband number one call husband number two?
Posted By: of troy Re: Relatives - 06/28/06 09:12 PM
Some days ago I realised that there has got to be a word that wife number one would use for wife number two in a harem, and vice versa.

Sister
Posted By: Bingley Re: Relatives - 06/29/06 04:03 AM
Probably Elder Sister and Younger Sister, but based on seniority rather than actual age.
Posted By: lostnomad Re: Relatives - 06/30/06 06:47 PM
Mmm... guess you are right, not very original though. Then again, I donīt picture a harem to be the most creative place in the world.

Still, I am always amazed with some languages having words for pretty much every type of relative, wonder if that is in indication of the importance given to family in a culture.
Posted By: Zed Re: Relatives - 07/04/06 10:54 PM
"Still, I am always amazed with some languages having words for pretty much every type of relative, wonder if that is in indication of the importance given to family in a culture. "
Not just of family but also of knowing your place in that family and society since the nearness of ties and the relative rank define the formality of interaction and the obligation owed. Obligation isn't the word I wanted but I can't think of the right one.
© Wordsmith.org