Wordsmith.org
Posted By: melara99 Manque Business ;) - 05/29/06 08:59 PM
"While in many languages (Spanish, French, etc.) adjectives are placed after the noun as a rule, in English there are certain situations where we use adjectives postpositively. When modifying a pronoun, an adjective is usually postpositive, as in "those responsible" or "all present". Adjectives modifying other superlative adjectives also go after them, as in "the best possible"."

I beg to differ on one small point. Yes, in English we do have post positive adjectives as the ones you mentioned, like court martial. However, the grammar related to the modification of a pronoun is actually not post positive adjectives; these are examples of reduced relative clauses, where the relative pronoun (which, who, or that) and the verb "to be" is eliminated for economy of speech. Those responsible is actually "those who are responsible", the best possible "the best which is possible", all present "all who are present". Just wanted to make sure that the distinction was made, because they are a completely different animal from post position adjectives. Maybe we are saying the same thing; I'm just clarifying.
Thanks for all the wonderful words each week - I don't know what I'd do without them!!!
Posted By: coultersca Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/30/06 12:02 AM

I thought 'manque', pronounced mancky, meant something was lacking, bedraggled, dirty, - a manky hanky would need a wash. A somewhat mispronounced french word, brought back by the British Army from France.

Is 'manque' the origin for the phrase 'monkey business'?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/30/06 12:09 AM
Coult, Mel, welcome to the monkey house!
Posted By: Mananan1 Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/30/06 01:01 PM
I seem to recall that there is a voice category in French opera called a "baritone manque", but I am not sure what it is that he is lacking. Any clues?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/30/06 02:29 PM
Quote:

I seem to recall that there is a voice category in French opera called a "baritone manque", but I am not sure what it is that he is lacking. Any clues?

Well what part does he sing? That may provide a clue.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/30/06 03:34 PM
Quote:

...Those responsible is actually "those who are responsible",...

The party who is responsible is the party responsible and the responsible party, yet those who are responsible are never the responsible those.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/30/06 06:02 PM
Welcome, melara. Interesting post! Unfortunately it's rare that The Great Anu reads this message board: if you want to contact him you should send him an E-mail. Meanwhile, please do stick around!
Posted By: Bingley Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/31/06 04:31 AM
Although I don't think I've ever actually uttered the word 'manque', I'm pretty sure I would pronounce it man-kay, while I would pronounce manky as it's spelt.

Manque = wannabe
manky = dirty, smelly
Posted By: Myridon Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/31/06 03:00 PM
Quote:

...while I would pronounce manky as it's spelt...

I would have just gone for just mank from spelling... after mosque, technique, ... but then there's applique...
Posted By: Marianna Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/31/06 03:16 PM
So how come manque does not carry its graphic accent whereas fiancé and fiancée do? I think that tends to pin down pronunciation somewhat...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Manque Business ;) - 05/31/06 05:19 PM
manqué

Posted By: Jackie Re: baritone manque - 06/01/06 12:44 PM
Welcome, all you new people! Mananan, I tried googling baritone manque, and while I didn't see an exact match, the sites I saw that did have the two words at least near each other were in French. Now I'm wondering if it has the same meaning in that language that it does in ours today.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Manque Business ;) - 06/01/06 08:59 PM
Quote:

manqué

Aaaah, there you go. Thanks, Tsuwm.
© Wordsmith.org