Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dan144 Flanders' folly - 05/02/06 07:48 PM
I was searching for a word meaning: to insert one word within another for emphasis, like absofuckinglutuly (pardon my German) or any number of the things Ned Flanders form the Simpsons says.

Who’s got it?
Posted By: maverick Re: Flanders' folly - 05/02/06 09:53 PM
infix
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Flanders' folly - 05/02/06 11:00 PM
Quote:

infix

or, tmesis, if you prefer Rhetoric to Linquistics.
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Flanders' folly - 05/02/06 11:40 PM
Hi-diddley-ho. Check out the following site for more Greek terminology: The Forest of Rhetoric
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Flanders' folly - 05/03/06 12:18 AM
Tmesis is also a grammatical term. It refers to languages like Greek, Sanskrit, and German where verbs and their bound particles can be separated. From the Greek root meaning cut as in entomos 'insect'.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Flanders' folly - 05/03/06 01:14 AM
BY that Forest of Rhetoric is awesome. I've visited that page before and I always end up spending a long time browsing there. Tonight I learned that "dialysis" is a rhetorical term:

dialysis

di-al'-i-sis from Gk. dia, "through," "asunder"
and lyein, "to loose"
Also sp. dialisis
divisio
the dismembrer

(1) To spell out alternatives, or to present either-or arguments that lead to a conclusion.
(2) A synonym for asyndeton.

Getting back to the subject, here's my meager trow onto the pitch:

Just when I thought that establishing the etymology of this term would be a sticky wicket, sticky wicket's origins were made clear.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Flanders' folly - 05/04/06 07:45 AM
But isn't an infix a bound morpheme (like prefixes and suffixes) instead of a freestanding word?

No examples come to mind right now, but I think infixation refers to adding a marker (such as "-ly" for adverb, "in-" for negative) in the middle of a word instead of at the beginning or end of it.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Flanders' folly - 05/04/06 10:40 AM
The Loos Glossary of linguistic terms lists an infix as a type of affix, and says that an affix is a bound morpheme but lists "bloomin" as an example of an infix in "abso-bloomin'-lutely."
© Wordsmith.org