Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman debt-relief and off-market transaction - 04/19/06 02:12 PM
Discussed at

http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/5501082602

the two expressions are euphemisms, but for what everyday or standard-English terms
Posted By: Myridon Re: debt-relief and off-market transaction - 04/19/06 03:11 PM
debt-relief = writing off bad loans but making it look like charity (esp. if you're going to try to get a government agency to give you the money to cover it or a tax break, etc.)
off-market transaction = an accounting transaction that's purely "on the books" (no other party was involved)
Myr thank you, but those are definitions not euphemisms

For instance, "men's colony" for a prison, "liberation" for invasion, "anticipatory self-defense" for Pre-emptive strike, "extraordinary rendition" for torture
Posted By: Myridon Re: debt-relief and off-market transaction - 04/20/06 03:16 PM
Ahhh... I see, you ass-u-me that the author of the article means "euphemism" in some strict one-to-one word replacement sense. I just ass-u-me'd that you had suddenly lost the ability to derive meaning from context. Silly me.

I also put it to you that if I were to say you're being too bloody strict in your interpretation of the word "euphemism" that I had no intention of saying "God's blood" in the place of bloody and in fact could have meant any number of unprintable oaths.
© Wordsmith.org