Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington snitful - 04/08/06 01:36 PM
I was chatting on line today, and typed something like the following: Some may see it as snitful, but I don't really care.

There are only two googlits, but this seems to me like a really useful word for being in a snit.

Any comments?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: snitful - 04/08/06 07:18 PM
I don't know TEd. To me, it sounds more like something that someone does while in a snit.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: snitful - 04/08/06 07:32 PM
I would probably use it as "I've had a snitful". Probably because it reminds me of "gutsful".
Posted By: Father Steve Re: snitful - 04/08/06 10:13 PM
Is my beloved Brother Max perhaps thinking of having a snootfull?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: snitful - 04/08/06 10:37 PM
Only when he's had it up to there [hand-at-eye-level emoticon]
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: snitful - 04/09/06 01:25 AM
Quote:

Is my beloved Brother Max perhaps thinking of having a snootfull?

Sorry, but "snootfull" always makes me think of something drawn by, as it happens, another Ted, Geissl.
Posted By: Jackie Re: snitful - 04/10/06 12:19 PM
I dunno, Ted; I think I have to go with the pretty bel on this. I think I'd be most likely to say something like, "That was a snitful comment", but, "I'm feeling snittish today".
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: snitful - 04/10/06 12:22 PM
oh dood, like that was some serious snittage.
Posted By: Jackie Re: snitful - 04/10/06 12:42 PM
Posted By: dalehileman Re: snitful - 04/13/06 06:08 PM
A googlit is also a googolplex to the power of a googolplex:

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jses...inktext=Googlit
Posted By: Faldage Re: snitful - 04/13/06 10:09 PM
Quote:

A googlit is also a googolplex to the power of a googolplex:

When I use the word googlit it means the number of hits gotten when googling a word or phrase and when I use a word it means what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less. It's a question of who's to be the master …
Posted By: tsuwm Re: snitful - 04/13/06 10:18 PM
from the googlit link: This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: snitful - 04/13/06 10:33 PM
You cease to be the master of a word as soon as you use it.
Posted By: Faldage Re: snitful - 04/13/06 11:50 PM
Quote:

You cease to be the master of a word as soon as you use it.

You cease to be the master of the word if you let it use you.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: snitful - 04/14/06 01:36 AM
That, too.
Posted By: musick Re: snitful - 04/15/06 02:04 PM
Ghit® = Someone who uses the amount of google hits to determine validity.

Ghitty = The feeling you've been proven correct because your *suggestion got more google hits.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: snitful - 04/15/06 02:39 PM
In the BBC Television series "Red Dwarf", the characters used the word "ghit" (or something that sounded like it) to mean an unsophisticated person, an idiot, a dweeb, a fool -- something like that. I suspect it was/is a Britishism.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: snitful - 04/15/06 02:46 PM
I think that's "git".
Posted By: Father Steve Re: snitful - 04/15/06 02:48 PM
Okay, phonologically speaking, but did I at least get the meaning right?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: snitful - 04/15/06 02:52 PM
I believe so.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: full of git - 04/15/06 03:30 PM
Usually derived from get and meaning a stupid person.
Posted By: maverick Re: my git, ah, gently weeps - 04/16/06 11:44 PM
Where'dja git that, nuncle? My version of OED only gives it as slang and dating no earlier than a first cite in 1946, which surprised me. (and yes Father Steve, I'd use it also in precisely your surmised sense - "worthless wretch" or something similar, with overtones associated with age ~ from its frequent pairing in the phrase 'old git')
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: bah gahda git ah - 04/17/06 12:09 AM
I read it once, a long time ago. Sort of with the sense of ill-begotten. The online A-H, M-W, and COED seems to agree with it though.
Posted By: maverick Re: bah gahda git ah - 04/17/06 12:38 AM
d'oh! I had turned off the etymology tab on my OED! Now it makes more sense, and yes, under get it has the second listing:
2. a. What is begotten; an offspring, child. Also collect. progeny. Now only of animals.
b. orig. Sc. and north. In contemptuous use = brat. Also spec. a bastard; hence as a general term of abuse: a fool, idiot. (Cf. git.) Now dial. and slang.
c. OED

So the sense transition from progeny to bastard to a general term of abuse seems quite plain (compared to some other transfers over time!)
Posted By: Kelly123 Re: full of git - 04/17/06 08:01 PM
Upon hearing "get", the lyric "stupid get" kept creeping up in my head till I was able to recall the song that was tormenting me. It follows:

Excerpt from I'm So Tired John Lennon

Quote:

I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid git

Excerpts from a lively BB discussion on www.songfacts.com

Yes, it is "git", common British slang, similar to "twit" in the US. By the way, he calls Sir Walter a git for popularizing tobacco in Europe: Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette And curse Sir Walter Raleigh He was such a stupid git
- Seth, Orono, ME

Britannie from Liverpool is so wrong. 'Get' was a commonly used insult in the 60's and 70's in the north of England. Can we put this one to bed now..I'm so tired.. it is GET not Git
- john, stoke, - -

I live in London but I was raised in Liverpool. in liverpool we say get but people in London and other parts of britain say git. so john sings get. if you don't believe me look in the book that comes with the White Album disc that includes the lyrics. it says get as well
- Luna, London, England

Actually, "git" was originally "get" and means that which is begotten--the connotation being illegitimacy. So a stupid git or get is what we in america would call a dumb b*st*rd. see http://www.takeourword.com/TOW111/page2.html
- Rick, Powhatan, VA
Posted By: Jackie Re: full of git - 04/18/06 01:08 AM
There are two (at least) U.S. versions, too.
Yankees: get out of here!
Southerners: git outta here!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: full of git - 04/18/06 01:25 AM
yeahba, them be a verb...
Posted By: Jomama Re: full of git - 04/18/06 04:38 AM
I can't forget how upset I was, way back in my teens, to hear a
HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER say "FER-GIT IT"!
Apparently my English teacher had more influence.....
© Wordsmith.org