Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 07:22 PM
Is there a word that describes birds' wings that have individual finger-like projections of feathers at the ends, as seen on eagles and other birds of prey?

example 1, an eagle

example 2, a turkey vulture
Posted By: Zed Re: a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 07:55 PM
I don't know the word for it but I once told a tourist that you could recognize eagles in flight because "they have feathers on their wings" and got a very odd look.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 08:21 PM
The large individual feathers are called pinions. So I guess a bird like that would be a pinionated.

Drat. I just could not say that with a straight face, could I?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 08:40 PM
Quote:

The large individual feathers are called pinions. So I guess a bird like that would be a pinionated.

Drat. I just could not say that with a straight face, could I?

Guess not.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 10:16 PM
The tailfeathers of eagles and turkey vultures are referred to collectively as "the rack." Thus, these birds, in flight, are a natural example of rack and pinion steering.
Posted By: Alex Williams shake a tail feather - 03/29/06 10:28 PM
So if an Englishman exclaims "Look at the rack on that bird!" he's merely making an ornithological remark, but if an American says it, he's observing a different sort of tail altogether. Apologies to the gutter police.
Posted By: themilum Re: shake a tail feather - 03/29/06 10:49 PM
True, Alex, but naughty.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 11:41 PM
Quote:

The tailfeathers of eagles and turkey vultures are referred to collectively as "the rack." Thus, these birds, in flight, are a natural example of rack and pinion steering.

Well, look on the bright side. It won't earn you a suspension. Some time on the wheel perhaps, but you'd just shrug it off since you're de fender of de faith. Or does that come as a shock?

oaugi0gnkoi
hioahiot/. Ooops. Garbled transmission.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: a night at the optera? - 03/29/06 11:44 PM
hubba hubba
Posted By: Jackie Re: a night at the optera? - 03/30/06 02:33 AM
Is there a word that describes birds' wings that have individual finger-like projections of feathers at the ends, as seen on eagles and other birds of prey?
I have heard them informally referred to as flanged.

FLIGHT FEATHERS: large stiff feathers on the end joint of a bird's wing. These outermost feathers are also commonly called "primaries."
wildlife

Here's a formal name for the feathers themselves: remiges.
remex

Main Entry: re·mex
Pronunciation: 'rE-"meks
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural rem·i·ges /'re-m&-"jEz/
Etymology: New Latin remig-, remex, from Latin, oarsman, from remus oar + agere to drive -- more at ROW, AGENT
: a primary or secondary quill feather of the wing of a bird

M-W

Though you didn't ask--hawks (usually but not exclusively) can be one of two types: buteos and accipiters.
"Buteos are a diverse group of medium-to-large hawks that excel in the art of soaring. These are the keen-eyed wind masters, able to tease lift from temperature-troubled air and to soar for long periods on set wings. They are clipper ships of the skies."

The accipiters are quick, agile raptors of boreal forest, bayberry thicket, and backyard bird feeder. These are bird-catching hawks, "true hawks", in the meaning of the Latin word Accipiter. Evolution's push and pull has created here a group of birds designed to capture other birds in deep woods and thick growth.

From Hawks in Flight, by Pete Dunne, David Sibley and Clay Sutton; pages 7 and 53 respectively.
Posted By: musick Rack a bye, baby - 03/30/06 07:28 PM
...he's observing a different sort of tail altogether.

Ahem.... 'tails' got nothing to do with 'racks'... mostly.
© Wordsmith.org