Wordsmith.org
Posted By: nightcrawler13 animal gait - 03/16/06 08:45 PM
Is there an adjective for the gait shared by cats, giraffes and camels in which the two left legs strike the ground at the same time, followed by the two right legs striking the ground at the same time? Thanks.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: animal gait - 03/16/06 09:26 PM
with horses, I believe it's called pacing as opposed to trotting -- don't know if this is more broadly used.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: animal gait - 03/16/06 09:38 PM
High quality, slow motion videography of a camel and horse (from Muybridge, 1957). Both are performing a medium speed symmetrical gait (camel – pace, horse – trot) which uses limbs in alternating pairs. The ipsilateral (same side) limbs are paired in the pace while diagonal limbs are used in the trot. In the pace, limbs of same side can not overlap or interfere with one another this allows the pacer to extend the length of stride more than the trotter. This results in a longer stride with fewer steps and a lesser expenditure of energy over an equal distance. Major disadvantages of this gait are reduction of lateral stability and maneuverability. Use of ipsilateral legs causes the animal to shift its weight from side to side creating a side-sway, resulting in decreased balance. The increased stride length also reduces the frequency of foot plant that prevents the pacing animal from changing directions as often as a trotter resulting in loss of maneuverability. Pacing is most advantageous in animals possessing long limbs, good lateral stability, and inhabit open country.
Posted By: consuelo gaited community - 03/17/06 12:37 AM
On the island where I live I have observed cats, dogs and iguanas using the same gait as Paso Fino horses. Pretty wild when you realize that the gait is reflected in the music as well.
© Wordsmith.org