Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm agid? - 03/14/06 02:06 PM
a subscriber writes:

I spotted an odd word in a quote from the logician/philosopher Willard Van Orman Quine. When asked about the meaning of life, he replied:

"Life is agid, life is fulgid. Life is what the least of us make most of us feel the least of us make the most of. Life is a burgeoning, a quickening of the dim primordial urge in the murky wastes of time."

Now, I know what "fulgid" means (such are the benefits of reading Pope), but I am unclear as to the precise meaning of "agid". I even tried poking about in Quine's last book, Quiddities, for illumination, but alas, I found there none. Might any of the good folks at wwftd have any suggestions to help guide my steps through "the murky wastes of time"?

---

Google churns up a few hits for this quote, but has no elucidation. I can find nothing on 'agid' via the usual suspects. I'm nearing that point of futility: it must be a printer's error, propagated by the 'net -- although an error for what, I can't imagine. algid? aged??
Posted By: Jackie Re: agid? - 03/14/06 03:07 PM
From a bio.: He liked etymology and unusual facts about words.
web page

Also probably no help:
AGID database

There are several ref.'s to it having to do with disease; not the likely meaning here, I think!

Best guess, and it's not a good one, is that he coined the word from parts of others. I first tried a-, but had no credible results for -gid. I suppose -id could refer to that part of our psyches, but the ag- prefix doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In this particular ref., when I looked up ag- I was referred to ad-, which shows these meanings:
ad-
prefix

Definitions:

1. to, toward
adsorb
advance

2. near
adrenal
[< Latin ad "toward, near" < Indo-European]

encarta
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: agid? - 03/14/06 03:46 PM
Could it be a made-up word along the lines of a-giddy? That is, being giddy?

Also, what in the hell does this mean:

Life is what the least of us make most of us feel the least of us make the most of.

When I run onto sentences like that the next thing you hear is the plop of the book shutting forever, followed by the thud of the book hitting the bottom of the book drop at the library.

Why, oh why, do people have to write this turgid shit which has no real meaning and which serves only to highlight just what an ass the writer is?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: agid? - 03/14/06 03:55 PM
What're you talkin' about, Teddy? He's just saying that a small minority of people make the most of life, and they make the rest of us feel like we're wasting our time.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: agid? - 03/14/06 04:10 PM
aLgid, which means cold and clammy, seems most likely to me. especially since it alliteratively leads into fuLgid.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: agid? - 03/14/06 04:54 PM
"Life is agid, life is fulgid. Life is what the least of us make most of us feel the least of us make the most of. Life is a burgeoning, a quickening of the dim primordial urge in the murky wastes of time."

I'm not sure about algid, Eta since the rest of the paragraph seems to be heading us towards the positive.

Fulgid is all sparkly. And at the end and we are coming out of the primordial ooze, i.e. the life is burgeoning...

I'm with TEd on this one though. "I know that he knows, that I know that he knows, that I know..." type of writing annoys me and I tend to just put it aside and forget about it.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: agidprop? - 03/14/06 05:23 PM
I don't know, "life is cold, life is brilliant?" maybe. <shrug>
Posted By: belMarduk Re: agidprop? - 03/14/06 05:34 PM
Hmm. I see what you mean. Like he's presenting the two sides, cold/brilliant haves/have nots.

Ts'a shame you can't call up the author in these cases, eh?!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: agid? - 03/14/06 06:07 PM
Quote:

turgid shit

Heh.®
Posted By: Marianna Re: agid? - 03/14/06 06:21 PM
Perhaps agid as some kind of reference to the Latin verb ago - egi - actum ? It means "moving forward, doing, acting"... So "life is happening, life is brilliant"?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: agid? - 03/14/06 06:35 PM
Good point, Marianna: whence agile, maybe?
Posted By: Marianna Re: agid? - 03/14/06 06:42 PM
Quote:

Right on you are, Anna...
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: agid? - 03/14/06 07:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Right on you are, Anna...

Great anastrophe, Mari... (your students must love you!!)
Posted By: Zed Re: agid? - 03/15/06 12:10 AM
"Fulgid is all sparkly."

Fulgid now ranks as the least onomtopoeic word I know.
From Quine's website...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q: Where did Quine write Life is a burgeoning,
life is a weighage?

A: Onwards seeing of the grandly quotes are
part of a romist text:

"Sordet is agid, sophime is fulgid.
Partialism is what the least of us make gigantic of us
feel the least of us make the implicative of.
Life is a burgeoning, a quickening of the
dim primordial urge
in the jaunty wastes of time." - Xemphim (in 1946)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whatever "outwards seeing" is.

EDITED BY REQUEST
BECAUSE MY FIRST POST WENT WIDE
AND INCONVENIENCED SOME
PICKY MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD

SECOND EDIT: IF THIS DOESN"T WORK
YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!
well, he can't even spell "sorbet"...

Can anyone tell me why this thread has gone w-i-d-e? I'm the only one who put any links, I think, and they're automatically short in this format.
Too much sorbet would make anyone go wide.
yes. it's all those furshlugginer ~s.

incidentally, I urge you to visit Quine's official web page before you form any opinions (about anything).
> Quine's official web page

having that at the beginning of this discussion may have prevented the whole thing... oy.
Posted By: TEd Remington What a pile of BS! - 03/15/06 12:17 PM
PhD certainly does stand for Piled Higher and Deeper, at least in this case:

It is obvious that truth in general depends on both language and extra-linguistic fact. The statement 'Brutus killed Caesar' would be false if the world had been different in certain ways, but it would also be false if the word 'killed' happened rather to have the sense of 'begat'. Thus one is tempted to suppose in general that the truth of a statement is somehow analyzable into a linguistic component and a factual component.....

NO! It is not obvious. This is nothing more than nattering on for the sake of hearing oneself talk. There is absolutely no meaning to any of it. It is a null set!

"Brutus killed Caesar." But what if Brutus means Caesar and Caesar means Brutus? And what if Brutus means polyhedron? And what if Caesar means incomprehensibility?

This is crap piled on crap. Sometimes a word is just a goddammed word. In fact a word is ALWAYS a word. All of this junk is nothing more than pseudo-intellectualism run amok.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What a pile of BS! - 03/15/06 12:28 PM
bugger.

which in this case means, "agreed".
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What a pile of BS! - 03/15/06 12:28 PM
TEd, everything you say is.

one thing I noticed (first in the NYTimes obit) supports an agid/fulgid dichotomy: two of Quine's undergraduate students were Tom Lehrer and Theodore Kaczynski.

I've left a query in their guestbook...
Posted By: consuelo Re: What a pile of BS! - 03/15/06 12:43 PM
Whoa, TEd. Sounds like you're a little agidtated
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: wideness - 03/15/06 01:03 PM
Quote:

Can anyone tell me why this thread has gone w-i-d-e? I'm the only one who put any links, I think, and they're automatically short in this format.

milum, could you go back and edit out some of your ~~~~s? thanx
Posted By: themilum Re: wideness - 03/15/06 05:24 PM
Why me? How come Consue and the tsuwm don't have to go back and edit, hmm?

Ok, I'll do it this time but I hope that next time you'll have the decency to ask some of those other people who tend to go wide.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: wideness - 03/15/06 05:45 PM
You need to delete about 4 more of those, milum. The other posts will narrow accordingly. Thanks for helping save my eyesight.
© Wordsmith.org