Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Salad shooter - 03/11/06 11:59 PM
Now the Western is back in vogue, and through pictures like Last of the Mohicans and Unforgiven, we get to learn new things, such as it was the Iriquois who invented the ~ --Bill Maher in Does Anybody Have a Problem With That?

I had understood the term to mean one who suffers diarrhea from eating too many veggies. So can anyone familiar with the expression elucidate--Thanks kindly
Posted By: themilum Re: Salad shooter - 03/12/06 12:04 AM
No dalehileman, I don't, and you are vulgar.
Posted By: maverick Re: Salad shooter - 03/12/06 01:21 AM
Sorry Dale, never heard it before in any case. I can understand why you're uncomforatable at mention of that particular comedian, Milo...

"I know this is about 140 years late, but to the Southern states, I would say upon further consideration, you can go."
Posted By: Faldage Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar - 03/12/06 12:53 PM
Salad shooter
Posted By: themilum ... and sometimes a cigar is smoke. - 03/12/06 01:37 PM
Well it never hurts to be careful.

Sometimes I am arrogant and sometimes I am vulgar and it is good to have other errant people take the time to tell me that my behavior is uncouth.
Otherwise how could polite conversation have continuance through time?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: ... and sometimes a cigar is smoke. - 03/12/06 01:58 PM
Fal: Thanks for the illustration, but how could Maher mean that the Iroquois had invented it
Posted By: Faldage Re: ... and sometimes a cigar is smoke. - 03/12/06 02:32 PM
Quote:

… how could Maher mean that the Iroquois had invented it

I suspect he was being ironic. Modern Westerns invoking anachronistic details and all that.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: ... and sometimes a cigar is smoke. - 03/12/06 03:11 PM
Fal: Then you think it might actually have made reference to the cucumber chopper. That's possible as Mahr did use caps but I still don't get it
Posted By: Faldage Re: ... and sometimes a cigar is smoke. - 03/12/06 04:45 PM
Well, cucumbers and any other salad element that gets chopped up and scattered into a salad. I have seen the phrase used in a context that might suggest there is some possible kinky use but I'm perfectly happy not imagining what it might be.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Salad shooter - 03/13/06 01:34 AM
Dale, I can never figure out what ~ means! In this case, does it substitute for your subject title?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar - 03/13/06 01:45 AM
Somebody thinks the Salad Shooter is a good thing.

Review
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Salad shooter - 03/13/06 03:28 PM
Thanks Jackie, I've been meaning to ask that. I know that two squiglies, one on top of each other, mean "approximately" but not what only one means.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Salad shooter - 03/13/06 03:43 PM
some dictionaries use the ~ symbol to stand for the headword, or the word being defined, in quotes or in inflected forms etc.

they also define their symbols up front. (M-W calls the ~ the "swung dash" : )
Posted By: maverick Re: Salad shooter - 03/13/06 03:49 PM
It means whatever Humpty intends, belM, so yah might as well give up now!

yrs,

a meal held in
Posted By: Myridon Re: posts - 03/13/06 08:08 PM
***** * ******* ~ *** **** ******** ********. ***** **. ^_^
-----------
* intend
** confused myself
*** like this
**** from now on
***** I
****** ibid
******* to write
******** understands footnotes
********* since everyone
********** op cit
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: posts - 03/13/06 08:21 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: posts - 03/13/06 10:47 PM
Quote:

***** * ******* ~ *** **** ******** ********. ***** **. ^_^
-----------
* intend
** confused myself
*** like this
**** from now on
***** I
****** ibid
******* to write
******** understands footnotes
********* since everyone
********** op cit

I intend to write posts like this from now on understands footnotes understands footnotes. I confused myself.

Or:

A simple typo can be disasterous.
© Wordsmith.org