Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Gear man - 03/04/06 07:34 PM
"I'm actually considered hip. Imagine that," says Doug Colligan. Below right, the author [seated on motorcycle] as a ~ of the '60's--Reader's Digest July 05

I get lots of hips but no defs--Thanks guys
Posted By: maverick Re: Cincinnati calling - 03/04/06 10:41 PM
I’m not clear, did you not find hip in a dictionary, Dale? The OED2 gives it as equivalent to hep:

Hep, (a)
slang (orig. U.S.).
Well-informed, knowledgeable, ‘wise to’, up-to-date; smart, stylish. Hence as n., the state of being ‘hep’. Also as v., to pep up; hepped ppl. a. (often with up); to be hepped on, to be enthusiastic about, ‘bitten with’. Cf. hep-cat, hip a.

1908 Sat. Even. Post 5 Dec. 17/1 What puzzles me is how you can find anybody left in the world who isn't hep. 1914 Jackson & Hellyer Vocab. Criminal Slang 43 Hep,+. Sapiency; understanding.+ Derived from the name of a fabulous detective who operated in Cincinnati.

© Oxford University Press
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Cincinnati calling - 03/04/06 11:03 PM
I think he was looking for info on "gear man."

Either way, can you provide more context?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cincinnati calling - 03/04/06 11:17 PM
Wasn't gear used in at least one Beatles song? I've forgotten the significance, though.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Gear man - 03/05/06 12:32 AM
Quote:

"I'm actually considered hip. Imagine that," says Doug Colligan. Below right, the author [seated on motorcycle] as a ~ of the '60's--Reader's Digest July 05

I get lots of hips but no defs--Thanks guys

Nothing about gear man in the urban dictionary, but they do have an entry for gear head that seems apropos given the context.
Posted By: Father Steve [Aside] - 03/05/06 03:15 AM
Will Faldo get to be something bigger than a Carpal Tunnel when he reaches 10,000 posts? Stay tuned and see.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: [Aside] - 03/05/06 04:44 PM
mav, sorry. In WS' typeface the ~ looks like a -

Fal: That's a very good guess indeed. Incidentally "gear head" also means tech or geek
Posted By: themilum Re: [Aside to Mister Faldage] - 03/05/06 06:39 PM
Quote:

Will Faldo get to be something bigger than a Carpal Tunnel when he reaches 10,000 posts? Stay tuned and see.

Mister Faldage: I would be honored to be the subject of your 10,000th post.
(Notice I don't call you Faldo, or Fal, or other diminutives that demean your station.)
We have had some high times here, huh, Mister Faldage? Remember that time when I helped you...aw, you don't need me to help you remember. Go on Faldage, it's your 10,000th post, write it as you remember it.

Always your pal,
Milo.
Posted By: Faldage Re: [Aside to Mister Faldage] - 03/05/06 11:04 PM
Yeah, Milo. Like I'm going to remember 90 posts from now. Or even notice.

Didn't Dr. Bill pass 10,000?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: [Aside to Mister Faldage] - 03/05/06 11:09 PM
> Dr. Bill

yup. 13858 posts. still a CT...
Posted By: maverick Re: [Aside to Mister Faldage] - 03/06/06 12:44 PM
> Didn't Dr. Bill pass 10,000?

He's venerable, but not that old.
© Wordsmith.org