Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Stag_Beetle Head over heels - 02/24/06 09:03 AM
What is the origin of this phrase?

It is really a corrupted version of "heels over head" as I read in one explanation?

Or does it describe someone's carriage; mean walking upright; with a straight back and good posture, rather than slumped forward?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Head over heels - 02/24/06 12:54 PM
Try http://www.wordorigins.org/
Posted By: Myridon Re: Head over heels - 02/24/06 03:30 PM
or Phrase Finder
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Head over heels - 02/24/06 03:54 PM
Stag, under Wordplay see "Finding word origins"
Posted By: Stag_Beetle Re: Head over heels - 02/25/06 02:49 AM
Why won't anyone answer the question? Isn't this a word discussion forum? It's like going to the doctor and being told, "I'm sorry I can't help you. You need medical assistance."

I went to Phrase Finder. Hence my first post: "It is really a corrupted version of "heels over head" as I read in one explanation?"

But if you can't lower yourselves to answer a simple question...
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Head over heels - 02/25/06 03:57 AM
Stag I for one would answer if only I knew.
All I can say is welcome aboard, and please do stick around.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Head over heels - 02/25/06 08:06 AM
HaiL, SB --

Perhaps the fact that no one has answered this other than to point to a couple of other web sites that seem to cover your question pretty well indicates that no one else has an answer.

No need to be so testy, is there?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Head over heels - 02/25/06 12:54 PM
Quote:

Perhaps the fact that no one has answered this other than to point to a couple of other web sites that seem to cover your question pretty well indicates that no one else has an answer.

Exactly why we suggested the beetle puppet check elsewhere. I even went to the trouble to see if Dave Wilton's big list has an entry for head over heels, which it doesn't; if it had I would've posted a link.
Posted By: Stag_Beetle Re: Head over heels - 02/25/06 01:29 PM
Fair enough.

I guess this is the correct answer after all.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Head over heels - 02/25/06 03:32 PM
If Quinion says so, it's so. Wordorigins was mentioned because there are folks there who will come up with much more authoritative answers than we will here. It also has the advantage of being much more seriously monitored than this board and trolls are not suffered gladly.
© Wordsmith.org