Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman ave - 02/21/06 03:30 PM
Under thread "Staircase wit," Fal remarks, "With the explosion in communication that is the Web all kinds of little used things are suddenly become commonly known"

I nominate also ALL ENDS UP, AVE (as greeting), CONVERSATE, HOPEFULLY (as whole-sentence modifier) , THUMBY, WATER’S EDGE (as political term), HANDOFF (to shift an unwanted responsibility) SURGICAL (with precision)

Any other candidates
Posted By: belMarduk Re: ave - 02/22/06 05:12 PM
Allo Dale,

I don't understand your post/question. What makes those words stand out?

Hold on, let me go look for the staircase thread. It's always more confusing when you come into a conversation in the middle.

=============================================

O.k., I'm back.

I don't know if the words are making a comeback Dale or if they are being used in a new manner. Does it count as a comeback it they are used in a manner that wasn't the original definition.

Also, what is thumby? If I had to guess, I'd think it meant clumsy.

=======================================
As an aside...I did find this gem from Alex Williams in the staircase thread. It's too cute. I love it.

Cochon d'escalier: when you finally come up with a good hogwash definition after the candidates have all been posted.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ave - 02/22/06 06:33 PM
And why the subject line "ave"? Is that one of your examples (and I echo bel's questions on your list)?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: ave - 02/22/06 07:10 PM
<ahem>

>I nominate also ALL ENDS UP, AVE (as greeting)..
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ave - 02/22/06 07:35 PM
oops, slipped right past me. tsanks, tsuwm. [/time to clean bifocals]
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: ave - 02/22/06 07:43 PM
Can anyone explain "all ends up, ave" to me? (Well, anyone other than dear old Gallant Ted, whose explanation would require translation.) I just don't get it at all.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ave - 02/22/06 08:28 PM
Quote:

Can anyone explain "all ends up, ave" to me? (Well, anyone other than dear old Gallant Ted, whose explanation would require translation.) I just don't get it at all.

Heh. Now that I can see again, I think they're two separate entries in the list.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: ave - 02/22/06 10:24 PM
Quote:

Allo Dale,

I don't understand your post/question. What makes those words stand out?***********That they are making a comeback

Hold on, let me go look for the staircase thread. It's always more confusing when you come into a conversation in the middle.

=============================================

O.k., I'm back.

I don't know if the words are making a comeback Dale or if they are being used in a new manner. Does it count as a comeback it they are used in a manner that wasn't the original definition.***Sure

Also, what is thumby? If I had to guess, I'd think it meant clumsy.****Marred by thumbprints

Posted By: dalehileman Re: ave - 02/22/06 10:26 PM
Quote:

And why the subject line "ave"? Is that one of your examples******Yes
Posted By: dalehileman Re: ave - 02/22/06 10:28 PM
Quote:

<ahem>

>I nominate also ALL ENDS UP, AVE (as greeting)..

***********Thank you but sorry, they're already in the running
Posted By: dalehileman Re: ave - 02/22/06 10:29 PM
Quote:

*********Oops sorry Alex. Those are two different entries
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ave - 02/22/06 10:30 PM
Props - I'm hearing this occasionally these days. not a common word here in the States before.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: ave - 02/22/06 10:40 PM
Props has been around awhile, as in to give props (short for proper respect).
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ave - 02/22/06 11:12 PM
yeah, I know it's been around a while, but it seems to be coming back into vogue, via the internets, p'raps?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: props - 02/23/06 12:17 AM
Oh, it's been around a long time, eta. Maybe not in Vermont but. You know Aretha's song "Respect"? She sings "propers" in it. That's been shortened to "props." I bet somebody better than I can date the first citations of both.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: props - 02/23/06 12:35 AM
Quote:

yeah, I know it's been around a while, but it seems to be coming back into vogue, via the internets, p'raps?

Posted By: Jackie Re: ave - 02/23/06 02:05 AM
Props p'raps?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: ave - 02/23/06 03:27 AM
Adult language always lags behind that of the young and, when we catch up, they quickly change theirs in order to remain "ahead" of the oldsters. No sooner do I learn some really hip expression than it fades from popularity and I am made to appear antique for attempting to use it with young people who have already abandoned it. A recent example follows:

I learned from some of the kids at the summer camp where I serve as chaplain that, when someone does something good, one is to extend the index and middle finger of the right hand while curling back the next two fingers (sort of like the Cub Scout salute) and tap these two extended fingers on the left bicep while saying "Mad props." When I did that in my church's high school youth group, they doubled over with laughter ... because it was already out of fashion.

Alas.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: ave - 02/23/06 03:46 AM
Father Steve, there is much power in your "uncoolness." Any irritating phrase that you wish to abolish, simply pretend to adopt and voila! it's gone.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: ave - 02/23/06 03:52 AM
like, if only!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: ave - 02/23/06 06:19 PM
Also, what is thumby? If I had to guess, I'd think it meant clumsy. ****Marred by thumbprints

Sheesh, I was nowhere near on the guess. Though the "marred by thumbprints" definition makes sense, this doesn't seem like this would be an oft-used words.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: thumby - 02/24/06 04:13 PM
Bel: What makes me say it's making a comeback is that I get 37k hits (English only) on Google,while it doesn't appear in OneLook at all

Because the latter source is very conservative and slow to pick up a word, if you don't find it here, or in only one or two links, then you can surmise it's a neologism
Posted By: Myridon Re: thumby - 02/24/06 05:01 PM
I only get 19,200 English only hits for thumby. I checked the first 10 pages and none of them were actual examples of this meaning.

From how rarely I smudge something with only my thumb, I'm guessing it would come from smudging the cell phone screen while texting since that's the only thing I can think of where people use just their thumbs close to something smudgeable.

Usually my computer screen is "indexy" (I'm taking out a trademark on that right now) because children can't seem to learn to point at the screen without touching it.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: thumby - 02/24/06 05:30 PM
Quote:

Bel: What makes me say it's making a comeback is that I get 37k hits (English only) on Google,while it doesn't appear in OneLook at all

Because the latter source is very conservative and slow to pick up a word, if you don't find it here, or in only one or two links, then you can surmise it's a neologism

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion at all; I can give you many examples where a word marked obs. rare by OED2 (and not found on OneLook at all) gets many ghits now; i.e., it is making a comeback due almost entirely to web usage.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: thumby - 02/24/06 05:53 PM
Tsu: Indeed you're right, but those are just a couple of rules of thumb. I have other guidelines. I'd list them, but I get too wordy, while I doubt if anybody else cares that much

Thumby - FillMeWith.Info DictionaryThumby. From FillMeWith.Info Dictionary ... Adjective. dirtied by thumb marks. Retrieved From "http://www.FillMeWith.Info/diki/Thumby". Views ...
www.fillmewith.info/diki/Thumby

Furthermore, why should a word not qualify as a neologism if it's common only amongst bloggers

Do ghits come from gmail
Posted By: Myridon Re: thumby - 02/24/06 09:01 PM
Quote:

Do ghits come from gmail

There are a lot of gits in gaol.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I'll send you a Bill - 02/24/06 09:07 PM
> Do ghits come from gmail

ghits = google hits
Posted By: musick Pay up, Myridon... - 02/24/06 10:39 PM
...I've already registered that "git"!

© Wordsmith.org