Wordsmith.org
Posted By: laurelmccreary idioms - 02/21/06 12:14 AM
Hello-
I am a senior English Education major currently enrolled in a linguistics class. We all have chosen topics to #1 present in a panel format and #2 research a paper for. I chose idioms because I enjoy having fun with language - I am planning on focusing on idioms in specific, history of idioms and their functions. In catalog searches at local libraries I have come up very empty handed. To the point of my rambling...
Are there any online and/or print resources that any of you know about that could help me in the history and functionality of idioms? Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Posted By: Jackie Re: idioms - 02/21/06 02:21 AM
Hi, Sweetie, what an interesting topic! I'm not sure if any of these will help, but you can try going here:
Google

You might also go to Info. and Announcements and try Max's Useful Language Links, though not everything there will be about idioms by any stretch. But there are several word and phrase origin links posted there. Thanks again, Max!
Posted By: Father Steve Re: idioms - 02/21/06 05:43 AM
Welcome to the madhouse. You might want to take a look at The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms (2003).
Posted By: Capfka Re: idioms - 02/21/06 09:36 AM
Suggest you look for books of slang, and not necessarily specifically USn. There's a fine line drawn between "slang" and "idiom".
Posted By: dalehileman Re: idioms - 02/21/06 01:57 PM
Cap: Well put. I have long maintained that somebody in the know should compile a list of succinct rules-of-thumb by which the average clod (me) might distinguish an expression as idiom, slang, vernacular, colloquialism, idiom, patoi, argot, metaphor
Posted By: wsieber Re: idioms - 02/23/06 05:56 PM
I have a feeling that it will always be difficult to discern idioms in one's own language . This is probably the cause of the meagre results of your search. Idioms, as I understand the term, comprise those parts of a living language that cannot be deduced from rules. To a native speaker, rules are secondary phenomena of rather variable importance. Idioms cannot be identified because they form a continuum. Only from an outside perspective, based on language learned from rules, you perceive idioms by stumbling over them. So as a practical hint, you might start your search in foreign english-teaching literature.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: idioms - 02/24/06 12:48 PM

Quote:

I have a feeling that it will always be difficult to discern idioms in one's own language . This is probably the cause of the meagre results of your search. Idioms, as I understand the term, comprise those parts of a living language that cannot be deduced from rules. To a native speaker, rules are secondary phenomena of rather variable importance. Idioms cannot be identified because they form a continuum. Only from an outside perspective, based on language learned from rules, you perceive idioms by stumbling over them. So as a practical hint, you might start your search in foreign english-teaching literature.

Herr Weißbier! That is a great suggestion. <applause> Indeed, it's hard to recognize idiomatic expressions in one's native language.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: idioms - 03/08/06 12:01 AM
laurel: Yours is indeed a very good question. I hope you receive some pertinent help from the WS'ers.

However, when you encounter an expression with which you are unfamiliar, go to Google Advanced Search and enter it in the "exact phrase" or "all" box. Then in the "at least one" box, enter

intitle:slang intitle:vernacular intitle:colloquialisms intitle:idioms intitle:patois intitle:argot intitle:metaphors

Subsequently when you employ this tactic it will be unnecessary to replace that condition because it will be available in a dropdown
Posted By: belMarduk Re: idioms - 03/08/06 02:37 PM
Dale, do you enter it ALL - as in, do you have to write intitle over and over like that? Or do you do one at a time?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: idioms - 03/08/06 02:47 PM
bel: You enter it all. However, as I said, you need do it only once because thereafter it will be instantly available in the dropdown

Incidentally it's remarkable how many word lovers don't use and aren't familiar with Advanced Search. It can be very helpful in many ways and I recommend it
Posted By: tsuwm Re: idioms - 03/08/06 02:56 PM
>Incidentally it's remarkable how many word lovers don't use and aren't familiar with Advanced Search.

on what do you base this assumption?
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: idioms - 03/08/06 02:57 PM

"Advanced Search"

I don't use anything else.

k
Posted By: belMarduk Re: slang site - 03/08/06 03:56 PM
I found this site for slang while trying out Dale's trick. The site looks very intensive.

http://www.slangsite.com/slang/G.html
Posted By: belMarduk Re: slang site - 03/08/06 04:00 PM
Dale, it didn't work. I didn't get a drop-down arrow the next time I logged into search.

I tried looking up a word, then finding the page pointed to. Then I re-opened Google search and there was no drop-down.

Is there a step I am missing?
Posted By: Myridon Re: slang site - 03/08/06 04:14 PM
I think Dale means that the Auto-complete feature of your browser will remember it for you.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: slang site - 03/08/06 07:48 PM
Ah. I see. Well, I went into the tools option to try to find the Auto-complete feature and I saw the "forms" was not ticked but two other fields were ticked on.

I did not set up my system. Is there a particular reason that the "forms" should not be ticked on?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: slang site - 03/10/06 11:53 PM
bel: You have to give it a hint by typing the initial letter or two into the box, as I believe Myr is saying

I didn't have to screw with my browser but it might be that you lack a crucial algorithm or aren't using Outlook
Posted By: belMarduk Re: slang site - 03/11/06 02:38 PM
I clicked the "forms" box in auto-complete and tried again. It worked as soon as I typed in the first couple of letters. That's very interesting.

Thanks all. I've decided to become a little more computer-savvy so I like appreciate these types of tips.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: slang site - 03/11/06 03:41 PM
tsu: This assumption is based on the testimony of many word-savvy Googlers; Fiend is a rare exception

Like him I seldom use the homepage except when I have no conditions to attach
© Wordsmith.org