Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed Answer to Logwood - 02/09/06 12:14 AM
I think sacred cow or sacrosanct are your best bet. (I tho't of shibboleth but that's not right at all - sigh) I would not usually use sacred cow for a person as calling someone a cow might be taken the right way.
"Could we meet at 9:30 over coffee?"
"Not a chance, coffee breaks are a sacred cow (are sacrosanct) in this office."
Posted By: Jackie Re: Answer to Logwood - 02/09/06 03:39 PM
Thanks for trying, Zed. [pat on the back e]
Posted By: Logwood Answers to myself - 04/24/06 06:16 PM
*shameless bump*

Thanks!

Even though this forum was on my mind a lot-- I wasn't planning to return, but I see you guys actually care, or at least seemingly, so if I have to bear the snobbery of some; I guess I'm gonna have to take the good with the bad of what this place has to offer. There isn't that much bad anyways, besides the occasional wiseacres, and of course, Homo Loquens, who, unquestionably, deserves a special category all to his own (still with the love-spreading hippie bug?).

Anyway, I managed to mature a lot in this short period of my AOWL (got my first job while going to study advanced computer administration). Solved a few life dilemmas, and completed two crosswords on my own. Zing!

Naturally, I had a lot of unanswered questions (philosophical, lingual) but nowhere to unload-- it was killing me! but rest be assured, I will bombard you in dribs and drabs. And while I refrained from browsing the forum, I actually printed all the archives from 1994 to 1998 so far (started a month ago), to have something to read in my workplace during breaks. I'm catching up, dreading the day I'll read it all!

Which reminds me, thanks for the quote--

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

Just a great quote. I guess sometimes good things find you when you stop looking. And that one quote is from my own repertoire (probably been said before though ).

As for the word I was looking for... it's either never existed, or was one of the suggestions made. It was just too long ago to be able to link anything. Besides, I needed to learn a lesson about compromise sooner or later, you don't always get exactly what you want. And while it seems self-evident, it's easy to forget and start obsessing. So, now that I think about it, (nearly) all the words that were provided were actually just as good, including the aforementioned one.

Well, how to end this... thank god for AWAD

I'm here and here to stay.

-Woodlog.

PS. ...so I couldn't fool you with "vikings helmet" for hoggin eh? in retrospect, I wouldn't even fool myself with that...
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Answers to myself - 04/24/06 10:51 PM
Hi Logwood,

What was your question again? I may be having problems with this thread because I only see two posts ahead of yours and no question from you.

Salut
Posted By: Jackie Re: Answers to myself - 04/25/06 12:42 AM
Logwood!! Oh, !
I am SO GLAD you're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Logwood Re: Answers to myself - 04/25/06 10:48 AM
Thanks Jackie! glad to be in my social haven again.

belMarduk, this isn't the thread I made-- that one can be easily searched by viewing my recent posts through the username profile. Supposedly it does exist and you do find it, you have secured yourself a kidney donor in times of trouble.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Answers to myself - 04/25/06 12:16 PM
Welcome back, indeed, Logwood. Homo Loquens is no more but as we have seen, there will probably be someone else of his ilk along one of these days. Tough it out with us.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Bad apples - 04/25/06 02:49 PM
Yep, every public message board is destined to have the occasional troll...

Welcome back, Logwood! I've missed you.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Bad apples - 04/25/06 08:33 PM
It's nice to have you and your enthusiasm back, Logwood.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Answers to myself - 04/25/06 11:12 PM
Welcome back, Qorah bar `Etz. I was missing your questions. Forget what's his name; I already have.
© Wordsmith.org