Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Marianna equivalent proverb in English? - 01/26/06 03:20 PM
We've got a proverb that could be translated as "The thief believes that everybody else is the same", meaning that if you have a negative trait of character you tend to believe that everybody is going to have the same trait and act accordingly. We're trying to find an equivalent English proverb or idiomatic expression, but I can't for the life of me remember if there is one or what it is... can y'all help? Leftpond and rightpond expressions will be equally welcome.

Thanks!
Posted By: Owlbow Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/26/06 04:23 PM
I can only think of this,
"Birds of a feather flock together.",
but it does not always have a negative connotation.
They might be good birds, owls for example.
Posted By: musick Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/26/06 04:43 PM
"There's a sucker born every minute."

(BTW - not uttered by P.T. Barnum)
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/26/06 06:42 PM
Write it in Spanish, Marianna. That might help trigger something.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/26/06 06:57 PM

Many times I've heard variations on "cheaters always think everyone is doing it."

I don't know that it's reached the status of proverb, but it's a pretty common notion.
Posted By: maverick Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/26/06 10:37 PM
Can't think of an exact match off hand, Marianna, but there is the common saying "it takes one to know one", typically used as a retort to someone commenting adversely on your status as, for example, a liar.
Posted By: AlimaeHP Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 12:36 AM
The only one that comes to my mind when I read this is "The exception proves the rule."
Posted By: Jackie Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 02:06 AM
I don't know of a proverb, Marianna, but it sure is a true statement! So many people have made responses based on their incorrect assumption of my intentions that I've finally gotten over being astonished (most of the time) and go straight to being angry.
Posted By: Marianna Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 07:57 AM
Quote:

Write it in Spanish, Marianna. That might help trigger something.

That's right, it might be useful: Cree el ladrón que todos son de su condición .

For the moment, Mav's It takes one to know one sounds the closest to the meaning of our proverb above: something like "you are wrongfully accusing me of this because you yourself are like that".

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!
Posted By: wsieber Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 08:58 AM
responses based on their incorrect assumption of my intentions - Do people really react to intentions ? I would have guessed they mainly react to impressions.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 12:19 PM
Quote:

Cree el ladrón que todos son de su condición .

For the moment, Mav's It takes one to know one sounds the closest to the meaning of our proverb above: something like "you are wrongfully accusing me of this because you yourself are like that".

Until I (might be able to) think of something else, Mav's seems the best.

Is this expression from Cervantes?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 05:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Cree el ladrón que todos son de su condición .

Until I (might be able to) think of something else, Mav's seems the best.

Is this expression from Cervantes?

and here I was, thinking y'all are tilting at windmills.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 09:53 PM
Quote:

and here I was, thinking y'all are tilting at windmills.

In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.
Posted By: Zed Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/27/06 11:16 PM
Although "it takes one to know one" is probably the closest we have in English it doesn't have the same implication of false accusation. What about "First take the beam out of your own eye."
Posted By: Miia Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/28/06 06:46 AM
Or how about

"the pot calling the kettle black"
Posted By: Jackie Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/28/06 02:44 PM
Miia! You certainly HAVE been studying English! That's closer than anything listed. Good for you!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/30/06 12:41 AM
Marianna,

Doesn't help, but in French Québec we have the same expression Un voleur pense que tous le monde est voleur. (A thief thinks everybody else is a thief)
Posted By: Faldage Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/30/06 10:49 AM
Along the same lines if somewhat outlisde the box:

If the only tool you have is a hammer all problems look like nails.

Of course, it's really:

If the only tool you have is a hammer any problem that doesn't look like a nail is someone else's problem.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 01/30/06 12:02 PM
Quote:

Along the same lines if somewhat outlisde the box:

If the only tool you have is a hammer all problems look like nails.

Of course, it's really:

If the only tool you have is a hammer any problem that doesn't look like a nail is someone else's problem.

If not, what're melons for? The Gallagher Conjecture
Posted By: Zed Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 02/02/06 12:00 AM
Miia wins.
Posted By: Faldage Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 02/02/06 11:29 AM
Maybe, if it were the pot calling the mirror black.
Posted By: Marianna Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 02/02/06 02:38 PM
AnnaS, this may possibly appear in some of Cervantes's work, but it was probably used even earlier.

Both Mav and Miia have got close to the proverb's meaning, and I'll be discussing both options with my students this week. Thank you muchly for your help, everybody.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 02/02/06 07:33 PM
Thank you for the interesting question, Marianna!
Posted By: Faldage Re: equivalent proverb in English? - 02/02/06 10:56 PM
Quote:

Both Mav and Miia have got close to the proverb's meaning, and I'll be discussing both options with my students this week. Thank you muchly for your help, everybody.

I think they've both missed the factor of the thief's believing everybody shares his faults whether they do or not. They both suggest that the accuser and the accused are both guilty. Fallible Fiend seems to have come closer but, as he said, it hasn't exactly made proverb status.
Posted By: maverick Re: honi I soit the kids - 02/03/06 11:41 AM
There is the allied proposition contained within "Evil to those who think evil".
© Wordsmith.org