Wordsmith.org
Posted By: themilum Quick! Without checking a dictonary. Vote ! - 01/14/06 10:50 PM
A simple up or down vote will sufice: Roll call...

Do you know the meaning of the term --> aliquot <-- ?

YES []
NO []

Hint:

An extraordinary amount of time was given to Alito's not having recused himself from a case in which Vanguard was involved, Vanguard being the mutual-fund company that manages Mr. Alito's money. On this matter, Judge Edward Becker of the 3rd Circuit Court spoke acidly, ...and introduced me [Bill Buckley] to a word I hadn't heard before. Becker explained why, for his own part, he had not recused himself from cases involving Vanguard even though his wife owned shares in the company: "I do not identify Vanguard on my recusal list because I am satisfied that my wife possesses no ownership interest in the Vanguard management company, which is what controls the recusal determination. She's never received a proxy statement, an opportunity to vote for directors or any indicia of ownership other than her aliquot share in the fund to the extent of her investment." Aliquot! Aliquot interests, OK!
Nope; it forms an aliquant part of my vocabulary now though.
Ali-what-now?

Nope, nah-ah... no idea... but I'm no pooh-bah nor carpal tunnels.
I think it has something to do with the remainder of a division
[no]

but I do now.

not that I'm ever likely to use it. but you never know. so many words...
YES [X] Aliquot is a technical term used in the law of wills, trusts and estates ... a required course in most law schools.
Do not ... make ... obvious ... kumquat ... joke ... which themilum ... will not ... find ... funny. [exasperation and exhaustion emoticon]
I rejected this as a wwftd some time way back for being legalese, or mathematical jargon, which didn't pique my interest -- but had I had an in the news citation...
I seem to recall that it refers to a measured amount of substance, esp liquid, a divided part of the liquid. ( in addition to mathematical reference) But I may be wrong.
Aye. From chemistry class, a very long day ago. Aliquot you chapter and verse if you insist. Used in casual conversation as recently as last week. Why do you ask? Is there something special about a defined part or portion?
wow ^^ this word is difficult. When I think about it, it hurts even now. It makes me so hard! my head hurts!!!! ^^;; maybe becos' I don't understand dictionary an exact statement or description of the nature!!!! ……. the environment here is very lettered!
I feel heavy... Don't get me wrong... I feel light... and I have to practice makes perfect!!!
~goodnite ^O^;;;;; (doing yawn!)
Quote:

NO [X]

No, but I might could of picked it out of a list of daffynitions. I'll go look it up now.

I'll parboly not remember it and would most likely use a periphrase next time the concept comes up
no

now i am going to read other comments.(and yours in white)
No, I'd never heard it before but I know the word aliquota in Portuguese. I'll now read up to see whether it and the English word are real cognates or false friends.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc preliminary returns - 01/15/06 06:02 PM
...so far make it seven yes, one maybe yes, and four no.

Does that conform to or refute expectations?
Posted By: themilum Re: preliminary returns - 01/15/06 07:03 PM
Gee whiz, Wofadoc, did you help count the votes down in Florida?

I count (6) "yes" votes, and (6) "no" votes (including my "no" vote that I haven't yet voted) along with (1) vote that was thrown out for being indefinate.

The polls will remain open until a tie-breaking vote is cast.
Then we will see if Bill Buckley is more word-worthy than the voting majority here on Awad.

Tic tic tic...
Posted By: musick Re: preliminary returns - 01/15/06 08:23 PM
Since I no longer am expected to have any knowledge, in the future you can just assume "no" until I *care otherwise.

jimmy (just say no) obvious
Alright, well I've seen it a bunch, and I think I did once bother to look it up. But it would seem did not bother to remember it, and I was content to believe it was something I'd once seen written in association with the weight of a can of over-cooked peas; on a not entirely unrelated note, I wonder if Mr. Buckley is thumb-indexed.
> Mr. Buckley

by jiminy!
No, I don't know what it means either.
Somehow it is redolent of fruit, and suggestive of broken shells. A loquat. The Kabbalistic qellipot. No idea. Who cares?
I think I do, if parte alícuota = aliquot portion.
Yes.
I learned the word from the Lab manager at my first lab technician job.
Posted By: Zed Re: Quick! Without checking a dictonary. Vote ! - 01/17/06 12:20 AM
Nope, never noticed it before.
Time!

Ok, that's it. The party's over, the poll is closed; everyone out of the pool.

Here are the results of the AWAD poll to determine competency...

55% of the respondents answered "yes" to the question "Do you know the meaning of the word "aliquot". This group will be permitted to name-drop the fact that they are more "word-worldly" than Bill Buckley.

40% of the voters answered "no", so they can only say that they belong to a club where most of the members are more "word-worldly" than Mister Buckley.

And lastly, 5% of the voters cheated. The notation CHEATER will be stamped on their manilla AWAD personnel folder, securely kept in a lock box by Jackie.

Thank you for your vote and remember to think nice thoughts about those less fortunate.
Posted By: TEd Remington more word worthy than Bill - 01/17/06 10:23 AM
milo:

I was actually taken aback by the thought that Buckley didn't know that word. I know that there's a lot of words out there, but that guy knows and flaunts more obscure ones than anyone I've ever run into. I pretty much dislike his snobbish attitude towards us mere mortals, and was actually surprised by your report of his grace in admitting to lack of knowledge of aliquot.

NOt that I am better than Buckley when it comes to vocabulary, I had run into aliquot a couple of times in a previous job, but had forgotten the exact meaning, so I didn't want to give you a mealy-mouthed vote.

I'll bet you three dollars to your used postage stamp that he's never heard of a sedgwick, though.
© Wordsmith.org