Wordsmith.org
Posted By: penelopeschott latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/10/06 02:08 AM
Hi, friends,

For about 25 years, I've been trying to remember a latinate word which means the same thing as thumb-indexed, as of a dictionary. If you happen to know this word, PLEASE e-mail me at penelopeschott@comcast.net. It's been driving me nuts. Thanks. p.
Posted By: consuelo Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/10/06 03:06 AM
Hi Penelope,

Have you tried a reverse dictionary lookup? I don't have a link handy, but you could try googling "reverse dictionary" or wait for someone to answer that has a link handy.

Don't be a stranger (for long)...
Posted By: Father Steve Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/10/06 04:45 AM
Dear Penelope ~

Welcome to the fun house. I hope you stick around long enough to discover how much fun we really are.

Suggestion: edit your post to give your e-mail address as "penelopeschott AT comcast.net" as a way of preventing harvesters from lifting it from this board and targeting you with every imaginable bit of Spam.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/10/06 09:52 AM
www.onelook.com has a reverse dictionary.

welcome, penelope!
Posted By: penelopeschott Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 05:19 PM
Alas, no luck. But I thank you for the suggestion. Best, p.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 05:31 PM
interesting that "index" comes from the Latin for "forefinger",

so a thumb-index....

so, anyway, something tumere? tumere digitus?

ain't web-searching fun?
Posted By: maverick Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 05:54 PM
fwiw Penelope, I used the Onelook reverse and entered <*ndex> to ensure capture of all variants. This nets more types of indices than you can shake a stick at, from “a index” to “zygomaticoauricular index” some 687 entries later!

Amongst them I found tab index, which seems about right to me. Not Latinate, but is it close to what you had been thinking of?

Technical description
Posted By: tsuwm Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 08:18 PM
what Penelope describes as thumb indexes are, in fact, called thumb indexes. M-W Unabridged, which is thumb-indexed, refers to them as.. thumb indexes. I shall search OED for something Latinate; but I am not sanguine.

..no joy: thumb-index == thumb-register
Posted By: Faldage Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 09:01 PM
The Latin for thumb is pollex, fwiw.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 09:31 PM
pollex?

from etymonline:

Quote:

thumb
O.E. žuma, from W.Gmc. *thuman- (cf. O.Fris. thuma, O.S., O.H.G. thumo, Ger. Daumen, Du. duim "thumb," O.N. žumall "thumb of a glove"), lit. "the stout or thick (finger)," from PIE *tum- "swell" (cf. L. tumere "to swell," tumidus "swollen;" Avestan tuma "fat;" see thigh).

Posted By: tsuwm Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/12/06 09:58 PM
he said the Latin for thumb was pollex; not that the word thumb came from pollex - in this case we opted for the O.H.G.N.D.Fris. žuma (or sumptin)
Posted By: maverick Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/13/06 01:38 AM
Meanwhile google determines our true search....

Free Bible Study Course
Gain new understanding about life & its purpose from these 12 lessons
ucg.org.au

Why were you born?
There is a reason why you were born. It may not be what you think.
ww3.wonderfulworldtomorrow.org

Ads By Google
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bollixed on pollex - 01/13/06 02:43 AM
thanks, tsu, for the clarification. damned language got in my way of understanding....
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/13/06 03:04 AM
Latin pollex, pollicis, so pollic(o)- would be the combining form. Index means basically pointer (or he who points). Cf. judex 'judge' for law-giver.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/13/06 07:39 AM
In what list of words did I recently see one for the distance between thumb and forefinger?
Posted By: penelopeschott Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/14/06 06:24 PM
No luck yet, but you all are certainly informative. Thanks. p.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/14/06 07:22 PM
Quote:

No luck yet, but you all are certainly informative. Thanks. p.

here's some more stuff mostly unrelated to your question:
-although pollex is sometimes applied to the big toe as well as the thumb, the distinctive term for that is hallux.

-pollex is also defined (by W3) as a unit of length equal to one inch -- used formerly in descriptions of invertebrate animals

-although these terms are used mostly in Anat. contexts, here's an actual literary usage of pollex:
She clutched her bag between index and pollex. - Anthony Burgess, MF

-pollical - Of or pertaining to the pollex or thumb
(pollically indexed?)

-pollicate - [Zool.] having thumbs

and, of course, desuperpollicate.

-in case you were wondering, pollicitate is completely unrelated, meaning the action of promising (fr. L. pollicitari, to promise)
Posted By: Jackie Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/16/06 02:00 AM
pollicitari, to promise Police? Politician?
Posted By: Zed Re: latinate word for thumb-indexed - 01/17/06 12:27 AM
in case you were wondering, pollicitate is completely unrelated, meaning the action of promising (fr. L. pollicitari, to promise)
With our election looming it does feel like our poiticians are thumbing their noses at us.
© Wordsmith.org