Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Nat looking for a word - 12/24/05 11:39 AM
I'm not a native English speaker and I need help finding a word. Is there a word that specifically refers to the endless bickering and fight among the King's many wives in a Royal court? Thanks a lot!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: looking for a word - 12/26/05 04:18 PM
I apologize on behalf of the entire gang. But sometimes when you don't get an immediate reply to a question of that sort on a site of this kind, it's because there's no such word, or at least none that exactly fit the application

When I presented the question to my wife and No. 1 son, who are much smarter than I, the only word that came to mind was "catfighting"
Posted By: Faldage Re: looking for a word - 12/26/05 08:43 PM
Quote:

I apologize on behalf of the entire gang. But sometimes when you don't get an immediate reply to a question of that sort on a site of this kind, it's because there's no such word, or at least none that exactly fit the application

When I presented the question to my wife and No. 1 son, who are much smarter than I, the only word that came to mind was "catfighting"

And even "catfighting" would be used to describe fighting among any group of women and not just the wives of a king. We don't have a lot of history of polygynous kings in the English speaking world; not much use for a word to describe a consequence of the custom.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: looking for a word - 12/26/05 09:23 PM
how 'bout "battle royal"?

oh, wait.. that's a wrestling term. ne'er mind.
Posted By: themilum Harum-scratchum? - 12/26/05 10:03 PM
Now really, tsuwm, if you must display your intimacy with things pedestrian, then at least have the good manners to offer your terms with care.

The proper term, according to the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), is "Catfight Royale".
You left off the "e" at the end, and the word is pronounced roy-ell'.

You are welcome.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Harum-scratchum? - 12/26/05 10:21 PM
A general term that might apply to this specific situation is infighting.

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: in·fight·ing
Pronunciation: 'in-"fI-ti[ng]
Function: noun
1 : fighting or boxing at close quarters
2 : rough-and-tumble fighting
3 : prolonged and often bitter dissension or rivalry among members of a group or organization <bureaucratic infighting>
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: looking for a word - 12/26/05 11:05 PM
Quote:

I apologize on behalf of the entire gang.

No need to, Dale. Some of us may have been a tad busier this past weekend than usual...

Welcome, Nat! Do stay around, maybe someone will find a word for you.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Harum-scratchum? - 12/27/05 03:51 AM
Quote:

Now really, tsuwm, if you must display your intimacy with things pedestrian, then at least have the good manners to offer your terms with care.

The proper term, according to the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), is "Catfight Royale".
You left off the "e" at the end, and the word is pronounced roy-ell'.

You are welcome.

gosh milum, if you're going to go all technical on me, at least get up to date! the WWF long ago gave up its acronym to the World Wildlife Fund (under threat of litigation), and renymed itself as the WWE* -- the expansion of which is actually more in keeping with the product it sells.

oh, and you better high-tail it over to wikipedia and correct their battle royal article!

*world wrestling entertainment
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Harum-scratchum? - 12/27/05 08:42 AM
>>oh, and you better high-tail it over to wikipedia and correct their battle royal article!<<

From that partly fascinating article:

"a wrestler is eliminated when they are thrown over the top rope with both feet touching the ground"
Posted By: Bingley Re: Harum-scratchum? - 01/16/06 05:12 AM
One of the international TV channels here carries something called TNA wrestling. What does TNA stand for? Something North America? But I can't think what.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Harum-scratchum? - 01/16/06 05:24 AM
Total Nonstop Action

-joe (jabroni) friday
© Wordsmith.org