Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Belgarion42 Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/23/05 07:18 PM
I just had a chance yesterday to spend some time with my best friend from high school (we've now know each other a little over half our lives). He lives in another state so we only get to see each other every couple of years, which obviously creates some distance.

Last night, I was trying to find the right word to describe our relationship. "Best friend" doesn't seem quite accurate at this point, and almost seems to have been over used to the point where it's lost its meaning. "Closest friend" doesn't work either, but a simple "friend", or even "good friend" or "close friend" doesn't convey the depth.

I finally settled on a concept: "as close as a brother." There are also a couple of females that I consider "as close as a sister." Using the term "brother" or "sister" is confusing when talking to people, as I then have to explain that they're not biological siblings. The same is true when I try "adopted brother" or "adopted sister".

So, is there a word (even in another language) that carries this "as close as a brother" or "as close as a sister" concept that I can use when talking to them or about them, as when saying "This is Andy. He's my _________,"? Granted, I'd still have to explain myself, but at least it wouldn't be awkward, and might even teach people a new word.

Thanks!
- Randy
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/23/05 07:50 PM
Welcome! Wow, a word like that would be really handy, Randy. I have a friend I would describe the way you describe yours. Let's hope someone comes up with something good.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/23/05 08:16 PM

I have about 5 friends like this. It's so strange. Several of them I only talk to about once every 4 or 5 years. But when we do talk, it's like we never parted company.

I consider each of them my best of friends. I'm much closer to any of them than I am to any of the good friends I have today. And I always refer to them as "my best friend" in conversation. Sometimes someone will ask, "But you said this other person was your best friend."

"Well, yes. So I did."
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/23/05 08:29 PM
bosom buddy:

a sworn friend; a best friend and companion.

It's probably a bit dated, but it's what came immediately to mind.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/24/05 12:34 AM
compadre
Posted By: Faldage Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/24/05 12:20 PM
(one of my) oldest friend(s).
Posted By: wsieber Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/24/05 12:42 PM
in many cases, "old friend" would probably fit the bill.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/24/05 01:29 PM
Life friend. You'd still have to make some explanations.

Compadre (for men) and Comadre (for women) is spot on.

The definition of compadre and comadre defines the special relationship between the parents and the godparents of a child. The reality of the word usage in the common sense is a friendship with a person that you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not.
Posted By: Belgarion42 Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/30/05 03:49 PM
Quote:

Compadre (for men) and Comadre (for women) is spot on.

The definition of compadre and comadre defines the special relationship between the parents and the godparents of a child. The reality of the word usage in the common sense is a friendship with a person that you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not.

Well, it looks like these words are basically what I'm looking for. Thank you (to all who have offered suggestions). I resisted compadre at first because, while its definition is what I need, its connotation is so much more colloquial, even casual in its usage. Nevertheless, if that's the word, I'll have to use it, and then explain to people (including the ones I'm describing) what I mean when I do.

I'm still open to other ideas, too, though. Anything in an ancient language, a less-common language, or any other for that matter?

In the mean time, and possibly long-term as I get comfortable with it, I'll be using compadre and comadre.
Posted By: themilum Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/30/05 10:05 PM
"Home Boys"

Think about it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 12/31/05 03:37 AM
You might try a little humor: "soul-brother"; "the brother I never knew I had"; "the brother my parents never knew I had", etc.
Posted By: maverick Re: AID relationships - 12/31/05 02:48 PM
> "the brother I never knew I had"; "the brother my parents never knew I had", etc.

Touchy subject in this DNA-test age...!
Posted By: mistermatt Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/02/06 12:22 PM
I like the compadre and comadre words..altho i think it'll be easier to introduce the two if you are able to say "comadre" first. Everyone (including me up to 5 minutes ago here) thinks they know what a compadre is...

Home boy is good but I'd only use that in certain situations....

"Brother from another mother" might fit your bill...

btw...just stumbled across this board after knowing the defintion of Anthropomophic in a game of cranium last night but not having the conviction to talk my team (the men) out of saying the defintion was an insect evolving to another stage...

Looking forward to learning and hoping I can contribute.
Posted By: maverick Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/02/06 04:43 PM
> I can contribute

Welcome mistermatt. Draw up a chair. If you can't draw, just sit.
Posted By: Belgarion42 Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/13/06 07:51 PM
Quote:

I like the compadre and comadre words..altho i think it'll be easier to introduce the two if you are able to say "comadre" first. Everyone (including me up to 5 minutes ago here) thinks they know what a compadre is...

Agreed. The more I think about it, though, these two words may work (and I'll probably use them until I/we find something else. However, there's one part of the definition I have a problem with, and it is this that makes me hesitant.

"... you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not." A couple of these people I mentioned I love dearly, but I'm not sure that I would trust them with the life and wellbeing of my child. I'm not sure they're that responsible.

So, I guess I'm looking for something that has a similar meaning, but does not convey that sense of trusting them with the life of my child. See my original post for more details.

Wow! This is harder than I thought it would be to find.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/14/06 12:20 AM
Though dated, I like bosom buddy, too. It's very self-explanatory.

Also, saying "This is Paul, one of my best friends" will also convey the closeness you feel to this person without having to explain anything, na?

==========================================

So, Belgarion...have you read the whole series? Pretty great read, eh?
Posted By: yeocomico Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/15/06 12:18 AM
I find that the term " one of my people" is very useful, I a playful way. I kind of like to use it as a playful poke at the idea of elitism, etc. When I say it to my wife, I might mean my male friends that I meet for coffee. As in" My people don't really drink anything but straight espresso" The same with "your people" As in " your people love to discuss emotions, don't they. I like to think of it as referring to my pack of hound dogs.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/15/06 11:35 AM
Quote:

"... you would trust with the life and wellbeing of your child, whether that person is a godparent to your child or not or even if you had a child or not." A couple of these people I mentioned I love dearly, but I'm not sure that I would trust them with the life and wellbeing of my child. I'm not sure they're that responsible.

Compadre and comadre are also used in a shallower context. I'm sure my mother-in-law would have objected quite strenuously to some of my father-in-law's "compadres" as guardians of her children! Primo/a means cousin and is another word that is used frequently for this type of friendship.
Posted By: arutai Re: Looking for a "Relational" Word - 01/17/06 04:58 PM
I have just such a friend. He is my "brother from another mother".
© Wordsmith.org