Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tuhin Help Required................. - 12/05/05 10:18 AM
hello everybody......
I am searching for a one word substitution of "aan inveterate liar" or "a person who is suffering from am mania of lying". Is there any word of such kind.....
Please help me in this matter......
bye everybody....
take care...

tuhin
Posted By: maverick Re: Help Required................. - 12/05/05 10:31 AM
Hi tuhin, welcome.

The most common answer to your question would be "lawyer".

The more interesting word might be pseudologue, which means a pathological liar.

By the way, are you familiar with the reverse lookup facility in Onelook's online dictionary? It can be quite useful if you're trying to pin down a general concept like this.
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: Help Required................. - 12/05/05 11:41 AM
Quote:

I am searching for a one word substitution of "aan inveterate liar" or "a person who is suffering from am mania of lying". Is there any word of such kind.....

Quote:

mythomania

noun

an abnormal or pathological tendency to exaggerate or tell lies.

DERIVATIVES mythomaniac noun & adjective

Posted By: Jackie Re: Help Required................. - 12/06/05 01:04 AM
An Ananias; a fibber; a prevaricator.

Welcome aBoard, tuhin; I hope you stick around a while.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Help Required................. - 12/06/05 01:40 AM
Politician
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Help Required................. - 12/06/05 01:48 AM
Munchausen?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Help Required................. - 12/06/05 02:03 AM
intimate?
Posted By: Zed Re: Help Required................. - 12/07/05 07:43 PM
Korsakoff's Syndrome is a medical condition caused by brain damage and also known as amnesic-confabulatory disorder. The sufferer is unable to remember new information, eg what did you do this morning, and compensates by confabulating. Five minutes later he cannot remember that story and creates a new one. They don't seem to be aware that the current story is invented.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Help Required................. - 12/07/05 08:45 PM
Quote:

Korsakoff's Syndrome is a medical condition caused by brain damage and also known as amnesic-confabulatory disorder. The sufferer is unable to remember new information, eg what did you do this morning, and compensates by confabulating. Five minutes later he cannot remember that story and creates a new one. They don't seem to be aware that the current story is invented.

Sounds like a president we had a few years back.
Posted By: tuhin Re: Help Required................. - 12/08/05 09:52 AM
Thank you everybody for these words.....really interesting ones....i feel fortunate to have found this board ....now i will be able to clear all my doubts....thanks again....

tuhin
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Help Required................. - 12/08/05 09:54 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a president we had a few years back.

Only sounds like ONE?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Help Required................. - 12/08/05 01:12 PM
TEd and Max,

Tsk tsk! Remember the no-politics rool? It's on page 42 of the manual: Chapter 1, verse b, clause iii.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Help Required................. - 12/08/05 01:37 PM
now i will be able to clear all my doubts Psst--all right, we've fooled another one!
Posted By: maverick Re: Help Required................. - 12/08/05 03:33 PM
> Chapter 1, verse b, clause iii.

eh? in my version that's the traditional hymn Nero My Dog To Tea
© Wordsmith.org