Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Marianna What could this be? - 11/26/05 12:24 PM
I'm translating a text into Spanish, about a lady who has created her own foundation to help children without resources. The text is in English, but was clearly not written in English originally.

At one point, it says that the foundation "welcomes every year henders of needy children at the countryside".

Now "henders" is not a word I've ever heard in English, and it doesn't appear in any of my dictionaries. After looking at it for a while, I assume that it's meant to be "hundreds" and has been misspelled somehow, but I wanted to run it past y'all and see if you can come up with any other possibility that I haven't considered.

Thanks!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What could this be? - 11/26/05 12:31 PM
hundreds would be my guess, too.
Posted By: maverick Re: What could this be? - 11/26/05 12:46 PM
yes, there's nothing else suggesting itself to me either, Marianna.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What could this be? - 11/26/05 01:02 PM
> nothing

yeah, renders would just be scary.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What could this be? - 11/26/05 01:19 PM
Hundreds would be my guess, too.
Posted By: Marianna Re: What could this be? - 11/26/05 04:07 PM
Yeah, I don't really see that it could be anything else.
Ta muchly, everyone!
Posted By: Father Steve Re: What could this be? - 11/26/05 05:15 PM
Perhaps the English original was dictated into one of those imperfect voice recognition programs for computers (they are ALL imperfect) and it "heard" henders rather than hundreds, 'tho one has to wonder how henders wudda found its way into the program's dictionary.
Posted By: maverick Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 12:35 AM
On a second pass, I suppose if the English was quite severely mangled it coulda been <senders> of needy children <at>/[to] the countryside. Only you can judge how far from Standard is the likely deviation!
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 12:59 AM
Quote:

Perhaps the English original was dictated into one of those imperfect voice recognition programs for computers (they are ALL imperfect) and it "heard" henders rather than hundreds, 'tho one has to wonder how henders wudda found its way into the program's dictionary.

Indeed speech recognition software is all imperfect, but that's hardly surprising, since even speech recognition wetware is distinctly imperfect also.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 11:25 AM
Quote:

Indeed speech recognition software is all imperfect, but that's hardly surprising, since even speech recognition wetware is distinctly imperfect also.

Eh?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 11:42 AM
> Eh?

ears and lips, man.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 01:03 PM
Quote:

ears and lips, man.

Try brain.
Posted By: maverick Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 01:24 PM
Try TEd's sense of humor...
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: What could this be? - 11/27/05 01:31 PM
Quote:

Try TEd's sense of humor...

Posted By: wsieber Re: What could this be? - 11/28/05 06:38 AM
speech recognition wetware is distinctly imperfect also - recognising the speech, yet failing to understand the phrase, you mean?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: What could this be? - 11/28/05 06:57 AM
Quote:

speech recognition wetware is distinctly imperfect also - recognising the speech, yet failing to understand the phrase, you mean?

No, I mean mishearing what was said.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: What could this be? - 11/28/05 10:03 AM
See my penultimate post.
Posted By: maverick Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 01:35 AM
eh?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 06:13 PM
T being immediately kittycorner from H: Camp Child Love in Mucuouslovakia specializes in the care, upbringing, and sale of children. In their language, such activity is translated as "tendering"

So once a year they have this conference
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 06:54 PM
Quote:

T being immediately kittycorner from H: Camp Child Love in Mucuouslovakia specializes in the care, upbringing, and sale of children. In their language, such activity is translated as "tendering"

So once a year they have this conference

"sale"?!

That's quite interesting -- but the word tenders doesn't fit grammatically into Marianna's sentence (even given the fact that it's probably a translation).
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 07:21 PM
Sj: Thank you for your response, but I was sure everybody would understand. Forgive me all to pieces for being unclear. The tenders of needy children would be a cadre of participants in the Institute's work; "tender" meaning one who cares for or looks after--eg, if I am your doctor I tend to your wounds. Thus I am a tender. Those who go to the conference once a year get together as tenders of children but then disperse to their respective homes or institutions to carry on the work of the Institute

tend...to act as an attendant: SERVE...apply oneself to the care of: watch over...to have or take charge of as a caretaker or overseer....syn TEND ATTEND MIND WATCH--Merriam Collegiate

Again my abject apologies of those of you who were confused about my apparent failure to employ the correct parts of speech in every particular
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 07:55 PM
Well, it could be a couple of other things.

If they are coming by the boatload, it would be tenders.

And if they were in the market to buy children it would also be tenders.

If they were more interested in the cooking byproducts of children it'd be renders.

If they were welcoming gymnastics instructors it would be benders.

If they were welcoming auto parts made of kids it'd be fenders.

If they were welcoming both sexes it would be genders.

If they were looking for bankers who deal in children wouldn't it be lenders?

And it could also be eeleomosynary pediatricians -- menders of needy children.

Or even the people who make the needy kids happy, senders. As in, that really sends me.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 07:58 PM
Lighten up, Dale. I'm the one who didn't go past thinking of the word as a verb. My bad, OK? Of course it does make sense grammatically as a noun. Thanks for your effusive explanation.

Edit: ... and for your elaborate expansion thereupon, TEd!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 10:15 PM
Anna, TEd: Bless you one and all.

Bless Sj too

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 10:18 PM
Quote:

Sj: Thank you for your response, but I was sure everybody would understand.

If I'm the "Sj" being referred to, all I can say is, "huh?"
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 10:24 PM
Sj: Again forgive me my trespasses. The opening was just too big and tempting to pass up

Indeed incorrigible, I shall forthwith compose a NY resolution to curb my mordant non-sequiturs

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 10:28 PM
Quote:

Sj: Again forgive me my trespasses. The opening was just too big and tempting to pass up

You don't need to apologise - I still have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. What opening? This is the first instance in this entire thread of you actually replying to one of my posts, hence my confusion at being cited when you replied to AnnaS.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What could this be? - 11/29/05 10:38 PM
Again my profuse apology, I had meant to address it to Anna. There's just no hope for an old guy at the onset of Alzheimer's

I shall endeavor to be more careful, tho there's no guarantee

I have been banned from other web sites for lesser impudence

Your forbearance, guys, is phenomenal
Guys includes gals
Posted By: maygodbwidu Re: What could this be? - 11/30/05 11:20 AM
lovely post..TED
Posted By: Marianna Re: What could this be? - 11/30/05 01:32 PM
Aaaaaaarhg, TEd!! Do you mean I got it wrong, wrong, wrong?? Lenders of needy children, of course. I must quickly call the editor.
© Wordsmith.org