Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman mez, mezz - 11/17/05 12:33 AM
Basically it means to mezmerize. Applied to gaming, however, it appears to mean disable, without necessarily the hypnotic connotation, or to confuse, or disable. Evidently it is feasible to mezz an entire mob. Any gamers' comments welcome
Posted By: Bingley Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 01:50 AM
I don't go in for gaming, as I dislike losing money too much, but perhaps it's worth pointing out that despite American fondness for the unnecessary letter, Mesmer's name should still be preserved in its original form.

edit: to clarify -- by all means abbreviate to mez or mezz if you must, but in full mesmerise
Posted By: Jackie Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 02:00 AM
American fondness for the unnecessary letter [SQUAWK] What?! American?? What you talkin' about, you-all with your aenigmas, your aluminiums and suchlike? Hrmph!
Posted By: Bingley Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 02:05 AM
I had forgotten the Kentuckian distaste for the Bard.

"Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter." King Lear Act 2, scene 2

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/gwic.cgi?Word=_&Path=shakespeare/tragedies/kinglear/ii_ii//
Posted By: Jackie Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 02:08 AM
Erm-- you prolly shoulda put the Kentuckian's or the Kentuckienne's. Yes, I was groaning to myself over Dean who apparently is yet another Shakespeare lover; but that has nothing to do with you-all Brits having letters in where they don't belong.
Posted By: Father Steve And the Google answer is ... - 11/17/05 02:40 AM
Mesmer = 515,000
Mezmer = 13,200
Mesmerize = 593,000
Mesmerise = 73,700
Mezmerize = 313,000
Mezmerise = 1,350
Posted By: tsuwm Re: And the Google answer is ... - 11/17/05 03:34 AM
ya know, Ads by GoogleŽ is nicely taking up the slack left by Ćnigma.
Posted By: Dean_Whitlock Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 02:00 PM
Quote:

I was groaning to myself over Dean who apparently is yet another Shakespeare lover

A great fan, yes, but not a scholar by any means. I only know the plays I've been in or directed (amateur actor, among other things). And I would be the last person to recommend returning to Elizabethan English and the free-for-all spelling that went with it! However, I did read that the Royal Shakespeare Company was in the process of producing all of his works with Elizabethan pronunciation! Apparently it's understandable (for the most part) and a lot of the rhymes and puns make much more sense. Sure wish I was a jet-setter and could hop over to London to see a few shows. I'd be mesmerised!
Posted By: Myridon Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 07:51 PM
Quote:

Basically it means to mezmerize. Applied to gaming, however, it appears to mean disable, without necessarily the hypnotic connotation, or to confuse, or disable. Evidently it is feasible to mezz an entire mob . Any gamers' comments welcome

A mob in gaming is a single computer-driven opponent (not another human player). The word is from way back in the MUD days and is short for Mobile OBject.

Some related terms to mezz:
aoe (area of effect) the spell affects all the mobs in a given radius rather than one targetted mob ergo an aoe mezz can affect more than one mob.
dot (damage over time) the spells effects are spread out over time, e.g. the spell does 75 hit points (hp) of damage by doing 15 hit points every 3 seconds for 1 minute (5 * 15).
bleed - related to damage over time but is an after effect of the main damage and often not tied to a total amount of damage, e.g. weapon damage plus 3 hp every 10 seconds until healed or rested (or death).
poison - similar to bleed but requires a cure instead of a heal
root (hold in place) - unlike a mezzed mobs, rooted mobs may still be able to fight if the opponent stays in range
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 08:17 PM
Ads By Google:
Dell Gaming PCs
Predator Gaming Computers

(okay, I think I've made my point now)
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: mez, mezz - 11/17/05 11:38 PM
Quote:

(okay, I think I've made my point now)

You know, until you dragged my attention forcibly the ads, I didn't even notice them.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: mez, mezz - 11/18/05 12:04 AM
Myr, vy helpful, thank you most kindly
© Wordsmith.org