Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Logwood Representation of sound - 11/15/05 11:58 AM
What is the word to describe words that are representation of sound? like "boink", "ahem"... etc.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Representation of sound - 11/15/05 12:03 PM
onomatopoeia
Posted By: Logwood Re: Representation of sound - 11/15/05 12:37 PM
Thanks!

It was told to me three years ago, but long words have a nasty habit to elude me.
Posted By: wsieber Re: Representation of sound - 11/15/05 01:31 PM
Since I feel in a speculative mood today, I wonder if there is a term for the very possibility of articulating an unarticulated sensory impression in the same "channel", so to speak (words for sounds both address the auditory channel, but I am hard pressed to find a visual analog of onomatopoeia - not to speak of the olfactory pathway..)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Representation of sound - 11/15/05 02:14 PM
> visual

you mean something (other than words - an actual, physical object) that looks like what it sounds like? or sounds like what it looks like?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Representation of sound - 11/15/05 02:16 PM
Iconic? for signs that look like what they signify.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Representation of sound - 11/15/05 08:32 PM
M-W has iconicity - correspondence between form and meaning <the iconicity of the Roman numeral III>
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 12:22 AM
> looks like what it sounds like? or sounds like what it looks like?

Like the letter 'o', right? That sounds round, looks round and you make your mouth round to get it. I find this topic (letters > articulation > sound) fascinating but have read little associated with it as yet. I'm guessing most would agree that the shape of letters in phonetic alphebets are not entirely abstract though.

..now I've stumbled on the following...lots of reading:-)
THE ARTICULATORY BASIS OF THE ALPHABET
Posted By: Jackie Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 01:16 AM
Pretty neat, by. It says it's from Becoming Loquens: what is loquens, please?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sound sound - 11/16/05 01:30 AM
Quote:

> looks like what it sounds like? or sounds like what it looks like?

Like the letter 'o', right? That sounds round, looks round and you make your mouth round to get it.

well, I was thinking he meant something more like ball or tree...

Quote:

I find this topic (letters > articulation > sound) fascinating but have read little associated with it as yet. I'm guessing most would agree that the shape of letters in phonetic alphebets are not entirely abstract though.

..now I've stumbled on the following...lots of reading:-)
THE ARTICULATORY BASIS OF THE ALPHABET

pretty interesting stuff... and this crazy site happened to come up next to it in my tab bar... cue twilight zone music
Posted By: Bingley Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 02:13 AM
Loquens is the present participle of the Latin verb loquor -- speak/talk

So loquens = speaking/talking
Posted By: wsieber Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 05:57 AM
iconicity fits the bill quite well, thank you, since I was looking for the correspondence of a visual message with a visual impression.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 12:15 PM
In case you're interested "Loquens" also yielded this definition in my mythology dictionary:

Aius Locutius
[Roman] When in 387 BCE the Gauls moved towards Rome, a certain Caedicius heard for several days a mysterious voice from the shrubbery on the Forum Romanum. The voice warned against the Gallic attack and advised to fortify the walls of Rome. Caedicius went to the Roman authorities but they did not believe his story. The attackers found Rome virtually undefended and entered without much resistance. When the enemy was finally driven out, a temple was built on this place in honor of this warning diety, who was named Aius Locutius or Loquens.
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 12:21 PM
Since I feel in a speculative mood today, I wonder if there is a term for the very possibility of articulating an unarticulated sensory impression in the same "channel", so to speak (words for sounds both address the auditory channel, but I am hard pressed to find a visual analog of onomatopoeia - not to speak of the olfactory pathway..)

This word is not completely irrelevant to your question :

synaesthesia

noun

A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.

A sensation felt in one part of the body as a result of stimulus applied to another, as in referred pain.

The description of one kind of sense impression by using words that normally describe another.

And, come to think of it, this was an idea Arthur Rimbaud addressed in his work [1] for which he coined a term... something like "discorrelation" ; damn this infernal lethologica!

[1] "The poet makes himself into a seer by a long, tremendous and reasoned derangement of all the senses." —Arthur Rimbaud
Posted By: Jackie Re: Representation of sound - 11/16/05 03:04 PM
loquens = speaking/talking Ah. Thank you. And thanks for the Aius story, Logwood.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Representation of sound - 11/21/05 07:47 PM
...and have you noticed how most of us tend to be more than a bit loquatious, too...
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Representation of sound - 11/21/05 08:29 PM
Quote:

...and have you noticed how most of us tend to be more than a bit loquatious, too...

...as often as not with our interlocutors...
Posted By: wsieber Re: Representation of sound - 11/23/05 06:59 AM
Would you extend the meaning of the word loquatious to our exchanges via keyboard? Isn't it closely linked with oral communication?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Representation of sound - 11/23/05 08:15 AM
Quote:

Does this mean talkative, or is it an adjectivisation of a rather delicious fruit that grows particluarly well in the Rawalpindi region? I ask merely because while my M-W offers loquacious for "talkative", it stops at loquat when trying with a t in the place of the c.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Representation of sound - 11/23/05 02:57 PM
...and loquat is completely unrelated, coming from a Chinese (Canton) term for an Asiatic tree.
© Wordsmith.org