Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Rapunzel 'puter - 02/27/01 01:07 PM
I recently finished Tom Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon, and noticed that numerous characters abbreviated the word computer as 'puter in everyday speech. I have never heard that done, and was wondering if anyone else has? It sounds rather odd to me.

Aenigma thinks Tom Clancy is clandestine.

Posted By: Faldage Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 01:17 PM
numerous characters abbreviated the word computer as 'puter in everyday speech

This sort of observation requires very careful listening. We tend to fill in blank spaces in the sound stream according to what we expect. <Computer> => <c'mputer> is a small step. The <m> will then easily merge with the <p> and the <c> being unvoiced will easily become inaudible. Since we are used to these processes occurring we will easily fill in the sounds in post production audio centers in our brains.

Posted By: garynamy Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 01:44 PM
I have been trying, without success, to popularize a pronunciation I've heard from my 5-year-old for this item.

She calls it a compuker, which I find a very apt name most days....

Posted By: Faldage Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 02:11 PM
She calls it a compuker

There is a computer cable company called CompuCableŽ. Normally this would be pronounced with the primary accent on the first syllable, but if you shift it to the second syllable...

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 04:49 PM
I heard this 15 years ago, before I had ever seen or used a computer, from my assistant, an early computer geek. He used it as a sort of affectionate term, and pronounced it "pooter".

Posted By: Bean Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 06:32 PM
I heard this 15 years ago, before I had ever seen or used a computer, from my assistant, an early computer geek. He used it as a sort of affectionate term, and pronounced it "pooter".

Yes! I had a friend, also a geek, who called it "pooter". That's the only time I've ever actually heard it.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 07:03 PM
my kids call it my 'puter', but only because they can't yet pronounce it properly. the most common permutation i've heard, in jest (though appropos) is "confuser".

Posted By: Seian Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 07:14 PM
I've seen it in type more often than I've heard it aloud. And I've come across it more as a cute word than when someone is trying to be serious.

Ali
Posted By: belMarduk Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 10:32 PM
I've never heard <puter>. Generally, people will say my PC, Mac or comp. Mon ordi in French.

Posted By: wwh Re: 'puter - 02/27/01 11:41 PM
As Arthur Godfrey, a popular radio peronality in the thirties said when he heard the name of a town in Massachusetts called "Barnstable" - that's a pee-yew name.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: 'puter - 02/28/01 01:45 AM
I often see "puter" written in cyber-space venues. Of course, I say "Mac"
(crawling back into cave...)

Posted By: Sparteye Re: 'puter - 02/28/01 01:32 PM
Both my sons said "puter" when learning to speak, and I've heard the term in other contexts, involving younger (high school/college) people.

Posted By: NicholasW Re: 'puter - 02/28/01 01:43 PM
I've never seen 'puter with an apostrophe, but puter is common enough among geeks, though always playfully, never as the standard term. It's just a lopping of the first syllable, not a slurring.

Now I've just consulted the Jargon File (a very good and comprehensive survey of geek terms) and it's not in there, so I'll have to guess. There is (was) a thing called a transputer, which is a kind of chip with a certain innovative architecture. My understanding was that puter was originally either a synonym of this or a generalization into a morpheme: so that a standard computer and a transputer were two different kinds of puter. But as the transputer is now dead, that generalization must have died with it.

My girlfriend says puter to me and putie to her children.

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: 'puter - 03/15/01 03:10 AM
< I often see "puter" written in cyber-space venues. >

I think Anna's on to something here. I always assumed puter was a chat room/bulletin board abbreviation from the early day of the web, back when most queries were of the "probs w/ DOS in new puter software." Hence the aforementioned "geek" usage...

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: 'puter - 03/16/01 02:23 PM
Doug! You're back! Glad to see you again...

© Wordsmith.org