Wordsmith.org
Posted By: matashi Parisological? - 11/09/05 05:15 AM
I got the idea for this based on the word parisology. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is about this. Do you guys think this is a reasonable ending for the word? I thought of it because of the psychology:psychological correlation.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Parisological? - 11/09/05 06:09 AM
here's a bit of ambiguous redundancy for ya:

parisology - the use of equivocal or ambiguous words
perissology - superfluity of words : PLEONASM

yet there is no connection made between these words by OED or W3.

looking at the etymologies:
Greek parisos almost equal, evenly balanced
Greek perissologos speaking too much

interesting, but what's this got to do with the question to hand?
Hence perissological a. (rare), ‘redundant in words’ (Webster 1828).

--------------

recall that Jesse S. claimed that the OED would be taking a closer look at 'net and usegroups for usable citations? check this out from a June draft revision:

1999 Pagano Fallacy Game in talk.origins (Usenet newsgroup) 2 Sept., The Amphiboly Category... For excellence in the area of parisology.
Posted By: matashi Re: Parisological? - 11/11/05 05:57 AM
That is an interesting tidbit. It seems like parisology may be the only acceptable form.

I would've never guessed another word (perissology) with such similar construction and meaning exists.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Parisological? - 11/11/05 11:09 AM
Parm my beg to differmints but I don't see much, if any, overlap of meanings. Of course it's possible to use too many words in an ambiguous way but redundancy is the opposite of ambiguity.
Posted By: matashi Re: Parisological? - 11/12/05 01:57 AM
I see your point. I didn't really think about the meanings too much. I think I was caught up with how both redundancy and ambiguity make a piece of writing dull and frustrating. I do think the construction of the words, parisology and perissology, is still strikingly similar.

So, with this similarity, and the rare occurence of the word perissological, wouldn't you think parisological may have a rare usage as well?
© Wordsmith.org