Wordsmith.org
Posted By: skirkrudeen looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/01/05 10:39 PM
I'm looking for a word that describes the way mountain ranges fade into the distance, ridgeline after ridgeline, finally merging with the sky.
Posted By: Zed Re: looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/01/05 11:33 PM
I don't know of such a word but agree that we need one. An artist named Markgraf(sp?)does wonderful prints of local scenes like this.
In Rennaisance painting there is a term "sfumato", which refers to the fading of objects/landscape in the distance. Granted, I have usually heard it used in reference to the overriding colour - brown in the foreground, green in the middle ground, blue in the distance.
Posted By: TEd Remington sfumato - 11/02/05 01:49 PM
Now that woulda made a good subject for pork laving.

But we'd have had a disagreement on pronunciation. You say sfumahto. I say sfumayto.
Posted By: skirkrudeen Re: looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/02/05 11:48 PM
Thanks Elizabeth! This looks like a good possibility, though perhaps there are other candidates for this word? At any rate, here's what the Oxford English Dictionary (online thru my local library) has to say about sfumato:
See quot. 1869.) Also as n., the technique of softening outlines and allowing tones and colours to shade gradually into one another; a softened outline or hazy form produced in this way. 1847 Manual of Oil-Painting 126 Sfumato. Painted with a light, vapoury touch. 1869 EASTLAKE Mater. Hist. Oil Painting II. 206 Another quality which was adopted from Leonardo..was the ‘sfumato’ system the imperceptible softening of the transitions in half-tints and shadows.
Posted By: Jackie Re: looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/03/05 01:46 PM
Why does sfumato make me think: smokiness?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/03/05 02:00 PM
Why does sfumato make me think: smokiness?

Because in Italian fumare 'to smoke' and sfumare 'to fade, evaporate' are both related. The latter has a prefix s- prepended.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/03/05 07:50 PM
Also, it is well known among art historians that Leonardo would go through a couple of packs of Camels a day when working on a painting.
Those aren't packs, those are herds or droves of camels, aren't they?
And even then there was an anti-smoking league, who would ask Leo if he thought it was Kool to smoke at the Matinee. No Craven, he would snap back "You bet your Sweet Cap it is."

I think it is a herd of Camels, says she, Hedging her Bensons....
Posted By: Jackie Re: looking for a word: mountain ranges - 11/04/05 03:09 PM
Sweet Cap He sure is!
© Wordsmith.org