Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn is there a word for it - 10/28/05 07:36 AM
...for the play of light on water reflected on the ceiling of a room with a view to the water - i'm told it's a Venetian dialect term?
jj
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: is there a word for it - 10/28/05 01:40 PM
Interesting question. I don't have an answer, but find it interesting that it is usually the reflection of buildings in water that rate a mention rather than the other was around you mention. Venetians are obviously well aware of the intricate interplay of water's reflection onto their architecture and, more importantly, the sheer infinite light dispersal which occurs from the reflections and counter-reflections though window panes, to glass vases, back to the canal waters, to tiled floors, in an interweaving of refractions. I mean, what lights up what? Clearly it's no accident that the greats of Venetian art often favoured water-based washes to depict the floating city in their vedute and capricci (architectural views and fantasies), freeze framing the melting of the symmetries into another.
Posted By: musick Re: is there a word for it - 10/28/05 03:56 PM
Dancing.
Posted By: Faldage Re: is there a word for it - 10/28/05 10:35 PM
Wasn't it a wwftd recently? Or maybe even aWAD!
Posted By: inselpeter Re: is there a word for it - 10/28/05 10:36 PM
Quote:

Dancing.

On the ceiling? What is it, Fred Astaire?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: is there a word for it - 10/28/05 10:45 PM
it wasn't wwftd, if I'm reading it correctly -- I've got a couple of words for the reflection of the moon on the water, but nothing for the ceiling! (I wait with bated breath!)
Posted By: Faldage Re: is there a word for it - 10/29/05 10:24 AM
Ah, yeah. Moon on the water. That was the one I was thinking of.
Posted By: Jackie Re: is there a word for it - 10/29/05 01:19 PM
John, this is fairly close, but I'm wondering whether you might have better luck looking in a dictionary of art words:
lambency

n : an appearance of reflected light [syn: gleam, gleaming, glow]

Dictionary.com
Posted By: musick A royal spirit - 10/29/05 01:56 PM
On the ceiling? What is it, Fred Astaire? Yep!

... and then Lionel Richie marked the low point of the 80's with *it.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: is there a word for it - 10/29/05 02:38 PM
Quote:

John, this is fairly close, but I'm wondering whether you might have better luck looking in a dictionary of art words:
lambency

n : an appearance of reflected light [syn: gleam, gleaming, glow]

Dictionary.com

Lambency! Great [find], Jackie!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: is there a word for it - 10/29/05 03:05 PM
"Sunlight on a canal is reflected up through a window onto the ceiling, then from the ceiling onto a vase, and from the vase onto a glass. Which is the real sunlight? Which is the real reflection? What is true? What is not true? The answer is not so simple, because the truth can change. I can change. You can change. That is the Venice effect." - John Berendt, The City of Falling Angels

an interesting coincidence, eh?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: is there a word for it - 10/31/05 12:13 PM
Quote:

...for the play of light on water reflected on the ceiling of a room with a view to the water - i'm told it's a Venetian dialect term?
jj

Gioco d ácqua,

riflessi sull ácqua
© Wordsmith.org