Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Efforting? - 10/26/05 03:49 AM
On a CNN broadcast today, concerning the impact of the most recent hurricane to batter Florida, the male anchor said that he was "efforting" to reach a person by telephone. God save us all.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Efforting? - 10/26/05 11:01 AM
no prescrip here, but that's just yucky.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Efforting? - 10/26/05 11:21 AM
Actually, effort is a verb in the OED, but it means to strengthen or fortify.

The verb that "accompanies" effort is efforce, according to the OED, and means to force oneself or to make an effort.

I had not known either of these.

Too bad I had to learn them from such an ugly verbification.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Efforting? - 10/26/05 12:14 PM
"He efforted his spirits with remembrance ... of what formally he had been."

Thomas Fuller. 1662. Worthies. (Secundum OED1.)

Of course, it sounds strange, is marked as obsolete, and is the only citation for effort qua verb. La!
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Efforting? - 10/26/05 12:58 PM
That is, "he fortified himself . . . " yes? which wouldn't pinch hit for "make an effort" in the newscaster's strained utterance.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Efforting? - 10/26/05 01:17 PM
The meaning has changed since the 17th century.
Posted By: Bingley Re: Efforting? - 10/27/05 01:34 AM
Quote:

On a CNN broadcast today, concerning the impact of the most recent hurricane to batter Florida, the male anchor said that he was "efforting" to reach a person by telephone. God save us all.

Are you imploring the Deity's protection of us from hurricanes or from those with a tin ear for the English language?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Efforting? - 10/27/05 04:28 AM
Are you imploring the Deity's protection of us from hurricanes or from those with a tin ear for the English language?

Hurricanes inhere in the nature of the planet. There is no controlling much less correcting them. Ignorance, on the other hand, is vincible (in most cases) and deserves an effort at correction. Bottom line: I wrote a letter to CNN.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Efforting? - 10/27/05 08:56 AM
Quote:

The meaning has changed since the 17th century.

Given that there is only one recorded occurrence prior to the anchor man's (may be sink with with his title), I'd say that was not just a change, but a quantum leap. No, a lousy coinage is a lousy coinage is a lousy coinage.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Efforting? - 10/27/05 11:01 AM
Relax people. In a couple years it'll sound as normal as "contacting."
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Efforting? - 10/27/05 12:30 PM
Relax people. In a couple years it'll sound as normal as "contacting."

Sage advice, Faldage: "Lie back and think of England."
Posted By: Faldage Re: Efforting? - 10/27/05 01:33 PM
Quote:

"Lie back and think of England."

Oh, right! Like we're gonna lissen to them about language use.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Efforting? - 10/30/05 10:49 PM
You know, I once wrote "effortly"... imagine my embarrassment when I found out there is no adverb to that word. But it does make sense theoretically right? I was surprised to find out "effort" is strictly a noun, since I expected such a popular word to be more "flexible".

As for the topic, I see it more as a nonce word than a malapropism.. but that's just me.

Father Steve, you seriously wrote a letter to them? yoicks... I'm glad you weren't my English teacher.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 01:20 AM
Father Steve, you seriously wrote a letter to them? yoicks... I'm glad you weren't my English teacher.

Ever since The Atlantic Monthly commissioned me as a member of the Word Police, I have taken my responsibilities very seriously.
Posted By: Bingley Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 02:08 AM
Isn't this a conflict of interest, being a member of the judiciary and the constabulary?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 02:49 AM
>a member of the Word Police..

I tore up my WP certification when The Atlantic Monthly online went to a subscription basis.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 05:40 AM
a conflict of interest, being a member of the judiciary and the constabulary?

Ah, but in such different jurisdictions!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 11:11 AM
Quote:

Ever since The Atlantic Monthly commissioned me as a member of the Word Police, I have taken my responsibilities very seriously.

Would it help if I told you I was a member, too?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 12:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Did y'all get a decoder ring?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Efforting? - 10/31/05 11:46 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We don' need no steenkin decoder ring. In fack we need to prove we don' need no steenkin decoder ring to get in.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Efforting? - 11/01/05 01:49 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We don' need no steenkin decoder ring. In fack we need to prove we don' need no steenkin decoder ring to get in.

So in other words, you won't share it.
© Wordsmith.org