Wordsmith.org
Posted By: inselpeter rude health - 09/23/05 10:35 PM
"Judged by the pace of growth, [the world economy] is in rude health."

So reads the second sentence of the first leader in this weeks Economist. Would you say that meant the economy was weak or robust?

Posted By: Bingley Re: rude health - 09/24/05 02:04 PM
My vote goes to robust.

Bingley
Posted By: inselpeter Re: rude health - 09/24/05 02:58 PM
And native speakers of American English?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: rude health - 09/24/05 04:03 PM
I've never seen rude used this way and since they don't say if the pace of growth is fast or slow, it is pure guess-work.

Rude is generally used as a negative term so I guess that the rate is slow and not good.

Posted By: of troy Re: rude health - 09/24/05 04:59 PM
rude good health is possitive..

it's the scrawny little kid, fed nothing but scraps, raised with no access to clean water or medical care, who grows up to be an athlete--and not just an athlete--but a champion.. Rude --that some little upstart, with no breeding or proper education, or proper parenting or proper lifestyle could compete and win --(especially when competing against his better's.

Posted By: Bingley Re: rude health - 09/24/05 10:53 PM
I've always heard, though I've never checked, that originally it was ruddy health, referring to red cheeks glowing after exercise. When ruddy began to be used as a swear word in some circles, ruddy health became rude health.

Bingley
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: crude heath - 09/24/05 11:00 PM
Rude from Latin rudis 'untilled, wild, raw; rude'; ruddy from Old English rudig 'ruddy'. The two roots whence probably unrelated in PIE.

Posted By: Bingley Re: crude heath - 09/24/05 11:04 PM
I was thinking of the particular expression 'rude health' rather than a general etymological connection between the two words.

Bingley
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: crude heath - 09/24/05 11:04 PM
rather than

I see.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: rude health - 09/25/05 01:06 PM
Thanks, all.

Here's the passage:

Is the world economiy in good or bad shape? Judged by the pace of growth, it is in rude health. Depsite soaring oil prices, the IMF's latest World Economic Outlook reckons that global output will grow by 4.3% both this year and next, well above its trend rate.

I took "rude health" to mean ill-health, so the optimisim of the sentence following took me by surprise. At the time, I wondered if this wasn't a bit of cleverness meant to underscore the difference in American and extra-American perspectives, but I've since decided no such subtlety was intended.

BTW, is there a specific name for a phrase begining with "despite," "in spite of," or some such?

© Wordsmith.org