Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Graduated respect - 06/10/05 04:48 PM
The chances of today's college kids working in the same jobs for the same companies for their whole careers are about zero. In such an age, the greatest survival skill you can have is the ability to learn how to learn. The best way to learn how to learn is to love to learn, and the best way to love to learn is to have great teachers who inspire.

And the best way to ensure that we have teachers who inspire their students is if we recognize and reward those who clearly have done so....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/10/opinion/10friedman.html

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Graduated respect - 06/10/05 05:08 PM
Public school teachers don't get that very often," especially with No Child Left Behind restrictions, which now require teachers to teach to the tests, and push out the window "all those things that really spark kids imaginations" - like art and music.

thank you, Ms. Loris.
and thank you, Mav.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Graduated respect - 06/10/05 06:13 PM
Wow. Great idea. Great article.

k

Posted By: maverick Re: Graduated respect - 06/10/05 09:00 PM
Isn't it (both!)? I am going to bring this to someone's attention over this side of the pond. It deserves consideration.

That same phrase really grabbed me too, eta :)

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Graduated respect - 07/11/05 03:20 AM
Just testing!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Graduated respect - 07/11/05 03:37 AM
it worked! welcome back!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Graduated respect - 07/11/05 10:36 AM
My, my, my! Blew the dust offa that one din't we then.

Posted By: Sparteye Hey, hey, hey! - 07/12/05 12:50 AM
It's CapK!

Posted By: maverick Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 07/12/05 08:09 AM
Long time no see, 'k!

Meanwhile, back in school...

When I moved to Queens, in New York City, at the age of 14, I found myself, for the first time in my life, considered good at math. In Bombay, math was my worst subject, and I regularly found my place near the bottom of the class rankings in that rigorous subject. But in my American school, so low were their standards that I was - to my parents' disbelief - near the top of the class. It was the same in English and, unexpectedly, in American history, for my school in Bombay included a detailed study of the American Revolution. My American school curriculum had, of course, almost nothing on the subcontinent's freedom struggle. I was mercilessly bullied during the 1979-80 hostage crisis, because my classmates couldn't tell the difference between Iran and India. If I were now to move with my family to India, my children - who go to one of the best private schools in New York - would have to take remedial math and science courses to get into a good school in Bombay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/opinion/12mehta.html

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 07/12/05 09:15 PM
Been a long sleep. Obviously got demoted on the way through: 3063 posts and just a Journeyman! Ah well, carpel-tunneldom was alway overrated. Hey, I hear youse guys have been making roolz and bullying newcomers. Can't find any evidence of that, just lots of accusations. What gives?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 07/12/05 09:17 PM
Who is this guy, anyway?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 07/12/05 09:54 PM
Who is this guy, anyway?

Keerful, Pfranz. Ya know what they say about imitation.

Posted By: smile002 Re: Graduated respect - 08/29/05 03:40 PM
I absolutely agree with you!

Great idea and beautiful article!

Make everyday count!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Graduated respect - 08/29/05 05:01 PM
hello, double-oh-two.

for those of us reading in flat mode, who are you agreeing with?

Posted By: Bingley Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 08/31/05 05:05 AM
Indian maths tutors teaching American kids by internet:

http://www.physorg.com/news6058.html

But will they teach them that the abbreviated name for the subject is maths not math?

Bingley
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 09/07/05 10:00 PM
>But will they teach them that the abbreviated name for the subject is maths not math?

On a related note:
http://bollywhat.com/forum/index.php?topic=494.msg57807#57807

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Hey, hey, hey! - 09/07/05 10:14 PM
Max is unfaithful! He posts to a board in addition to this one. Is there no exclusivity clause in the user agreement here?

© Wordsmith.org