Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh When I was five - 05/23/02 01:44 AM
Librocubicularist: one who reads in bed. I remember getting spanked for reading under the covers.With lamp, naturally. I suppose my mother worried lamp might ignite sheets.

Posted By: hev Re: When I was five - 05/23/02 06:36 AM
Librocubicularist: one who reads in bed.

Geez, Dr Bill, you keep coming up with new words to desribe me. I won't tell a story in this one, just see my post in the "Summer Reading" thread...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: When I was five - 05/28/02 11:28 PM
Bill, are you sure she just wasn't worried that you'd go blind. My mom would tell me that ALL THE TIME. "Don't read with the flashlight you'll go blind". I wonder if it's true?

Posted By: of troy Re: When I was five - 05/28/02 11:44 PM
did you go blind? or stop reading with a flash light?
my son did set the sheets on fire reading with the lamp under the covers! he put the flames out before he did much damage.. but i did notice the hole in the sheet!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: When I was five - 06/26/02 06:57 PM
we provided our three boys with reading lamps, and encourage them to read in bed!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: When I was five - 06/26/02 07:49 PM
Even during my peanut butter days, books were the one thing I never refused my son. A child can have too many toys but NEVER too many books.

It helped tremendously. A teacher once told me that one of the reasons he did so well in school was that he read so much.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: When I was five - 06/27/02 02:04 AM
Nobody(not just kids) can ever have too many books!
we had such a nice time this evening during the t-storm; the Playstation was off-limits(so was the iMac...), and all three boys found books to read. quietest moment all day... beautiful. ah summer...

Posted By: FishonaBike Recovery time - 06/28/02 03:51 PM
"Don't read with the flashlight you'll go blind". I wonder if it's true?

Not true, belM - but also not entirely untrue. Straining tired eyes, especially using inadequate artificial light, is in no way good for them. In some cases it can lead to damage.

At the end of the day the eye is a part of the body and is operated by muscles. As such it can be strained, as a consequence of which it needs resting time. Given that we simply must read every day (and kids at school, we would hope, read plenty), it can be hard for the eye to get adequate recovery time.

In some cases, the eyes' temporary tiredness has (certainly in the past) been taken as a permanent feature, meaning that spectacles get prescribed when they're not strictly necessary. Then the eye accomodates to the specs and they gradually become a permanent feature etc.

Yes, I used to love reading at night - I can vividly remember staying up until the early hours of the morning reading War Of The Worlds at around 10 years old (and eyes going very hazy) - but I wonder sometimes, if I hadn't been such a manic reader, would I still be as short-sighted now?

Fisk

Posted By: stales Re: When I was five - 06/29/02 01:08 PM
"I remember getting spanked for reading under the covers. With lamp, naturally"

You and me both Dr Bill!

I remember being so excited staying at a friend's place - the transformer for their electric blanket had such a bright glow I could half hang out of the bed and read all I liked!

stales

Posted By: Keiva Re: When I was five - 06/29/02 01:43 PM
Even during my peanut butter days, books were the one thing I never refused my son. A child can have too many toys but NEVER too many books.

Amen.

........You may have tangible wealth untold;
........Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
........Richer than I you can never be-
........I had a Mother who read to me.

Entire poem is at http://petecol.mybravenet.com/gillilan.html#mother

Posted By: of troy Re: When I was five - 06/29/02 01:50 PM
What an original idea!NOT post a poem!
trying for a change of subject? Just one of the standard Keiva tricks!
see Information and announcements for a complete detailed list of his tricks.. or click here
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?at=&Board=announcements&Number=73423

go away keiva. you are not wanted here.

Posted By: wwh Re: When I was five - 06/29/02 02:53 PM
Keiva used extortion to gain re-instatement. No poem
can make that acceptable. Keiva will never be welcome here.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: When I was five - 06/30/02 12:55 AM
I remember getting spanked for reading under the covers.With lamp, naturally.

You were spanked with a lamp?

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: When I was five - 06/30/02 02:35 AM
>You were spanked with a lamp?

You know, I thought the exact same thing, doc... I just couldn't bring myself to ask.

But evidently it's a common punishment - stales had the exact same thing happen to him.

Posted By: Tomghaji Re: When I was five - 10/23/02 03:30 PM
When I was in Middle school I lived at campus, so I read book under covers almost every night without fearing being interfered by mom! So many interesting books then I read!
But my eyesight is very poor now:(
Now I am working with my Ph. D. dissertation which forced me to stay up every night. I am worrying about my eyes getting worse and worse.

btw: I am not a native speaker. Sorry for my poor language.

Posted By: Faldage Re: When I was five - 10/23/02 03:55 PM
not a native speaker

If you hadn't said I wouldn't have guessed it. Going back and rereading I can see it, but it's just small things. Your command of English is nothing to apologize for.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: When I was five - 10/23/02 10:35 PM
Librocubicularist

I am so happy this thread has come up again! I've been trying to recall this word for weeks now!

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: When I was five - 10/26/02 12:15 PM
Welcome Tomghaji! It's such a nice suprise to hear from someone from Beijing - where I lived for many years!

worrying about my eyes getting worse and worse

Do you do/know of the eye excersises they teach in most Chinese schools? If you do, keep doing them, especially when it's late and you've been doing loads of work - it relaxes the eyes and reduces any damage caused by eye strain.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: When I was five - 10/27/02 04:16 PM
Do you do/know of the eye excersises they teach in most Chinese schools?

Hi bonzai,
You can't find a link for these on the Web anywhere can you?
I reckon a lot of people on this Board would benefit from knowing them - at least, I would.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: When I was five - 10/27/02 06:29 PM
Try this site, these exercises are roughly what I was taught to do:
http://www.shouyuliang.com/newsletter/v2n5/v2n5a4.shtml
I'm afraid you'll have to copy'n'paste this as I can't get a link up.

Posted By: FishonaBike Chinese eye exercises - 10/29/02 12:59 AM
Thanks, bonzer. I'll check 'em out..

Oh, here's a ready-made link for others:
http://www.shouyuliang.com/newsletter/v2n5/v2n5a4.shtml

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Chinese eye exercises - 10/29/02 05:48 PM
a ready-made link for others
Ta Fishbike! How d'ya do that?

Posted By: hev Re: Chinese eye exercises - 10/30/02 04:36 AM
Simple, pimple! [cross-threading to rhyme time, not calling you a pimple!]

Simply type [ url ] before the link and [ /url ] after (sans spaces in the square brackets) and voila! You've got a clickable link.

Course, if'n you got a LONG link, you should use http://www.makeashorterlink.com so that it doesn't make the screen go wide.

Hope that helps!!

Posted By: of troy Re: Chinese eye exercises - 10/30/02 12:04 PM
and don't forget the url mark up tag adds "http://" for you, so delete those from you pasted in link, other wise you end up with http://http://www.xxx.com and that won't work!
all of this is in the FAQ! really you should read the FAQ, when i first started, i printed the FAQ info and its just 4 short pages! its nice to have the directions printed out...
mind you its doesn't tell you all the secrets, but we share secrets here anyway!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Pasting urls - 10/30/02 12:33 PM
Yep, of troy's advice about deleting the http part is important. I go ahead and also delete the www. and that doesn't seem to affect the heat of the link. Should I have said hotness of the link?

Posted By: of troy Re: Pasting urls - 10/30/02 03:10 PM
wouldn't talk a about a hot link being hot, or hotter, or warm.. it's either a hotlink, or a broken link...(or it could be a dead link.. but links break or die, they don't cool off!
and yes, many times the www is not needed.

Posted By: Bean Re: Pasting urls - 10/30/02 04:19 PM
it's either a hotlink, or a broken link

Well, see, now, that just doesn't make sense. If it's dead it should be a cold link, no?

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Pasting urls - 10/30/02 06:45 PM
Great, thanks all!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Pasting urls - 10/30/02 06:47 PM
In reply to:

wouldn't talk a about a hot link being hot, or hotter, or warm.. it's either a hotlink, or a
broken link

Ever hear of facetiousness, of troy?

Posted By: wwh Re: Eye massage - 10/30/02 06:57 PM
As a friendly suggestion, get a doll and massage its eyes. Safer, and just as efficacious.

Posted By: Tomghaji Re: When I was five - 11/04/02 04:57 PM
Thanks, bonzaialsatian. And glad to know that you had lived in Beijing! Welcome back if possible.

yeah, we were taught to do eye excersises early in school. But few do actually. I am not sure about the reason. In my view, that this exercises was invented and put into effect was a part of Chinese Modernization Movement(big words used in this situation?). A nice dream of keeping healthy national wide, yet a political utopia.
But actually it is useful. Now I really need to do so:) Thank you very much!

Tomghaji
From
The T'ang Dynasty, China
:)
Posted By: Tomghaji Re: When I was five - 11/04/02 05:03 PM
If you hadn't said I wouldn't have guessed it. Going back and rereading I can see it, but it's just small things.

Thank you, Faldage. Anyway, your words cheered me up:)

Tomghaji
From
The T'ang Dynasty, China
:)
© Wordsmith.org