Wordsmith.org

Ideas for etymology book for elementary students?

Posted By: DaleM

Ideas for etymology book for elementary students? - 11/08/11 02:41 PM

My 8 year old child has been asking a lot of questions about where words came from. Does anyone have recommendations for an etymology book that is appropriate for elementary school children?
Posted By: zmjezhd

Re: Ideas for etymology book for elementary students? - 11/08/11 02:54 PM

There are few books about etymology that are appropriate for adults let alone 8 year-olds. You might want to get a good unabridged dictionary (e.g., Webster's 3rd, American-Heritage) and point out the etymologies for almost all entries.

There is a Ten-Minute History of English available on YouTube (link), but it might be more appropriate for teens.

I'll take a look at my linguistics library and see if I can find something ... you might think about getting a book geared to adults and reading it out loud to your child and trying to answer all his questions.
Posted By: DaleM

Re: Ideas for etymology book for elementary students? - 11/08/11 05:24 PM

I just searched Amazon and found quite a list that may be interesting. Does anyone know if any of these books are good?

Amazon Etymology for Kids
Posted By: Harjit Jandu

Re: Ideas for etymology book for elementary students? - 10/30/12 08:22 AM

A few years back I had read this book by Linda Goodman, "Star Signs". She has allocated a number of pages on the topic "Lexigramming". It was quite an eye opener for me.
The other idea is to use www.dictionary.com- they have given details about the words. I guess the second choice I mentioned is easier to grasp for anyone.
Posted By: Harjit Jandu

Re: Ideas for etymology book for elementary students? - 10/30/12 08:24 AM

Hi Dale,
I guess you could try www.dictionary.com.
Posted By: LukeJavan8

Re: Ideas for etymology book for elementary students? - 10/30/12 03:22 PM

Hello Harjit, and welcome.
Dale last posted a year ago, doubtful this person will receive
your reply, but it is good to see new people here, again Welcome.
© 2017 Wordsmith.org