Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bigwig Rabbit List - 11/22/07 02:02 PM
Hi everybody. I'm hoping you can help me find some resources. I am looking for a comprehensive and exhaustive list of prefixes, roots, and suffixes with examples to use in my fourth grade class. Also, I'd like to know if there is such a thing as an organized list geared for teaching, or for lessons of this nature. If you know of the existence of either of these, could you please post them here? Thank you.
Posted By: Zed Re: List - 11/23/07 05:41 PM
A list like that does sound exhausting. Oh you said exhaustive.
I don't have one but welcome and good luck.
Posted By: BranShea Re: List - 11/24/07 08:03 AM
I'm sure there are some good people who could help you, but maybe they are in a state of collective indisposition.
Keep knocking.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 11/24/07 02:25 PM
hi BW,

I did find this list.

or this list.

and you might be interested in this site.

have fun!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 11/24/07 02:31 PM
and this one is good, too: more lists.

by the way, I just googled "list of prefixes"...

and I wanted to let you know that your signature link doesn't work.
Posted By: Bigwig Rabbit Re: List - 11/24/07 08:31 PM
Thanks! I think I'm going to have to take all these resources and compile my own list. Any ideas about how to focus an etymology curriculum (for Fourth Grade)? I'm just beginning to implement/design a program. Focus is a major issue.
Posted By: Maven Re: List - 11/27/07 04:44 PM
Hijacking to say welcome to the forum--and I LOVED Bigwig! Watership Downs is an all time favorite of mine.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 11/27/07 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Maven
Hijacking to say welcome to the forum--and I LOVED Bigwig! Watership Downs is an all time favorite of mine.

yeah, I was trying to remember his rabbit name, Thlayli or something similar, and was embarrassed that I had forgotten. time to read it again.
Posted By: Bigwig Rabbit Re: List - 11/30/07 04:49 AM
I looked at that book for the longest time and thought, "How could a book about rabbits be any good?" I did the same thing with Saki, and now I'm really liking the complete works.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 11/30/07 01:26 PM
I endured much peer pressure when I first read it in the 8th grade, but it was worth it.
Posted By: Maven Re: List - 11/30/07 03:51 PM
Is it bad that I really can't recall how old I was the first time I read it? It was after Black Beauty, so post 3rd grade, but before I started reading Xanth, so before 5th grade. I read it over the summer, and kept rabbits, so of course they were all renamed.
Posted By: Bigwig Rabbit Re: List - 12/01/07 12:10 AM
The whole idea of Tharn is one of the many wonders of that book. I distinctly remember being shocked by the "dark secret" of the fat farm rabbits.

Richard Adams also wrote an epic called Maia, which was quite good, although not so good as Watership Down. I was disappointed with The Plague Dogs, one of the few books I never finished reading.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 12/01/07 02:22 PM
I, too, couldn't get through Plague Dogs. I've always said I would give it another try someday. I'd not heard of Maia, maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list!
Posted By: Maven Re: List - 12/04/07 04:59 PM
Odd--The Plague Dogs is the first book that made me cry at the end of it. I've read Maia as well, but didn't enjoy it as much as Watership Downs.
Posted By: Bigwig Rabbit Re: List - 12/06/07 01:09 PM
I read The Plague Dogs a long time ago. I think the reason I put it down was that it was too depressing. It didn't seem to me that the story could possibly be resolved to my satisfaction. I've only not finished perhaps 4 books in my life for approximately this same reason, that is, satisfactory resolution seemed impossible.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 12/06/07 01:11 PM
Plague Dogs disturbed me too deeply to finish it. I was much younger then, so perhaps I could get through it now, but not sure I want to.
Posted By: Maven Re: List - 12/06/07 11:08 PM
Both of those I understand--it is not a light hearted read.
Posted By: olly Re: List - 12/07/07 07:49 AM
I first encountered Watership down as a child of 8 years. I never read the book, but I recall clearly the images of the big screen flickering their reflections. The allure and fun of the cinema had promised a cartoon of adventure, and, a day off school.
I didn't understand what myxamotosis was, neither do I think did our teachers. But, it wasn't about that. What was it about? It was about the images I retained. The big bunny eyes, the fences, the characters, the music, and the heroes. For me it bridged the gap between 'Playtime' and 'Lunchtime'. It set within me a sense of empathy for animals for which I am grateful. It was talked about by my friends for weeks. And thought about by me for years.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 12/07/07 03:05 PM
oh olly, the book is sooo much better than the movie. (though, as I recall, they did a pretty good job with the film adaptation.)

and "Myxomatosis" is one of my favorite Radiohead songs.
Posted By: olly Re: List - 12/07/07 06:33 PM
the book is sooo much better than the movie.
As is almost always the case. So much more depth in the books (not restrained by budget) A good story is always the key to a good movie. Not many write a novel based on a movie eh?
Posted By: Hydra Re: List - 12/08/07 11:28 AM
Quote:

Judge, Jury & Executioner!

Scatterbrain's my favourite on that album.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: List - 12/08/07 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Hydra
Quote:
Scatterbrain's my favourite on that album.

indeed, another great one. what an album.
© Wordsmith.org