Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Usance - 12/09/04 02:44 AM
Did anybody else "see" nuisance when they read this word?
I guess I really don't understand the world of finance at all. I read the def. and thought it was very clear; then I read the examples and had no idea what they were talking about.

Posted By: Owlbow Re: Usance - 12/15/04 01:16 PM
I see any financial matters as a nuisance a mystery and a necessary evil. On a very small scale I try to barter. A dozen eggs for a few winter squash - a few hours work painting your house for a few of yours fixing our chicken coop roof…When I was single I paid for everything in cash and didn’t even have a checking account. Ah the good old days…
What I "saw", was nuance. I always struggled with spelling and gramma, and so, am very thankful for Spell Check, on-line dictionaries and tolerant AWADers.

Posted By: Jackie Sorry... - 12/17/04 01:52 PM
I always struggled with ... gramma Who won?

Posted By: Owlbow Re: Sorry... - 12/17/04 02:37 PM
It's an ongoing daily fight. I may be because I went to parochial school rather than grammar school. I learn some valuable lessons here even so.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Sorry... - 12/17/04 04:58 PM
I always struggled with ... gramma

Personally, I try to keep on gramma’s good side. She’s 87, but she’d be more than happy to raise a knot on my head if I got out of line.

Posted By: maverick Re: Sorry... - 12/18/04 12:39 AM
daily fight

Keep up the good fight, it's one most of us enjoin! And despite what the prescriptivist pedants say, never lose faith: language, your language, is only a negotiation, and no-one has 'the right answer' for all time :)

© Wordsmith.org