Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh ninnyhammer - 12/27/03 01:18 AM
It just occurred to me that "ninnyhammer" doesn't make sense. A "ninny" a case of cerebral insufficiency. The "ninnyhammer" ought to refer to the exasperated boss
who has to try to get some work out of him.

Posted By: Jackie Re: ninnyhammer - 12/27/03 01:42 AM
It's in Webster's 1913 Dictionary, so it's been around at least that long. Maybe hammer was added kind of from another language; my husband, of German descent, would sometimes call our babies slobber-hanuses when they drooled. Or maybe it started off as ninny-yammering? That would make more sense than ninnies hammering...

Posted By: Faldage Re: ninnyhammer - 12/27/03 01:52 PM
And what's wrong with Anu's explanation?

Posted By: wwh Re: ninnyhammer - 12/27/03 02:07 PM
I'll hammer you, you ninny!

Posted By: Bryan Hayward Re: ninnyhammer - 01/05/04 08:56 PM
I clearly recall that Samwise (who we learned means "half-wise" or maybe half-witted) Gamgee was speaking to himself, saying "You're nowt but a ninnyhammer, Sam Gamgee." I never had any doubt that the term meant "fool". I suspect there is a deeper derivation to it than Anu mentions. If the "ham" means "town" like I suspect, it probably is a derogatory derived from a placename.

Cheers,
Bryan

You are only wretched and unworthy if you choose to be.
Posted By: Jackie Re: ninnyhammer - 01/06/04 01:10 AM
Bryan! Oh my goodness, I thought you'd given us up for good! Welcome back, Sweet Thing! :-))

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: ninnyhammer - 01/08/04 02:29 PM
Brian sez:
If the "ham" means "town" like I suspect, it probably is a derogatory derived from a placename.

Hmmm... does the term "village idiot" come to mind?

© Wordsmith.org