Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic OK, I give - 09/10/03 12:55 PM
from tsuwm's wwftd:

the worthless word for the day is: bada bing

(also bada-bing, bada-boom)
exclamation to emphasize that something will
happen effortlessly and predictably
- Oxford Dictionary of English

May pedantry be the end of me. What's the difference between the Oxford Dictionary of English and the Oxford English Dictionary?

Posted By: Faldage Re: OK, I give - 09/10/03 01:08 PM
the difference between the Oxford Dictionary of English and the Oxford English Dictionary

is the same difference as the difference between bada-bing bada-boom and bada-boom bada-bing

Posted By: tsuwm Re: OK, I give - 09/10/03 01:30 PM
>What's the difference between the Oxford Dictionary of English and the Oxford English Dictionary?

one volume vs. twenty?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: OK, I give - 09/10/03 10:05 PM
since we're bada-binging... I heard this phrase long before the Sopranos was broadcast, on Beakman's World, a kid's science show starring Paul Zaloom. couldn't tell you the exact date, but it was at least six or seven years ago. any ideas?

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: OK, I give - 09/10/03 10:17 PM
>Beakman's World, a kid's science show starring Paul Zaloom. couldn't tell you the exact date, but it was at least six or seven years ago. any ideas?

At least that long ago - a very good show it was, too.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: bing-a-ling - 09/11/03 12:41 AM
two or more people took the trouble to inform me that it goes back at least to the late 80s and Andrew Dice Clay. but you surely couldn't say that he popularized it. (try googling bada-bing +Clay vs. +Sopranos: more than two (2!) orders of magnitude. but someone else suggested that it goes back further to comics mimicing a rimshot.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bing-a-ling - 09/11/03 01:01 AM
Clay

ah, I had(gladly) forgotten about him....

Posted By: Faldage Re: OK, I give - 09/11/03 11:02 AM
heard this phrase long before the Sopranos

I, for one, had never heard the phrase bada-boom bada-bing before the Sopranos quote.

© Wordsmith.org