Not to be confused with cicisbeo
cicisbeo
n.,
pl. 3be[os# 73bz#8 or It. 3be$i 73c8 5It6 the lover of a married woman

Posted By: wwh Re: ciceronian - 01/20/03 01:52 PM
nor with cicerone

cicerone
n.,
pl. 3nes# 73ncz#8 or It. 3ni 73nc8 5It < L Cicero, the orator: ? from the usual loquacity of guides6 a guide who explains the history and chief

Posted By: wwh Re: ciceronian - 01/20/03 04:02 PM
I just checked a site about Latin pronunciation, and it said "c" is always hard.
Hello, Kickero!

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/20/03 04:24 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: ciceronian - 01/20/03 05:03 PM
>lover of a married man

paramour works for either, but perhaps there is an equivalent in Italian?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 05:14 PM
In reply to:

I just checked a site about Latin pronunciation, and it said "c" is always hard.
Hello, Kickero!

wwh, tell me it ain't true!

I can't believe Cicero would be pronounced: Kicker-oh.

Isn't there some rule somewhere about the letter 'c'? At least in French the 'c' before a, o and u, I believe, is hard and soft in front of 'i' and 'e.' You have to modify the 'c' before a, o, and u to soften them by using a special accent. Is there a similar rule in Latin? It seems 'c' before 'i' in Cicero must be soft and not hard simple because I've never heard anyone say Kickero. Please, Latin lovers, speak out on this!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 05:26 PM
In Classical Latin, the Latin of the very Cicero of whom we speak, the letter C was always hard. As the ages wore on, the sound of the C before front vowels (i and e) was pulled forward from the back articulation to one further forward in the mouth. This expressed itself as a ch sound in Italian, a ts sound in German and further degenerated to an s sound in French.

Posted By: dxb Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 05:30 PM
I can't believe Cicero would be pronounced: Kicker-oh.

If there were a rule qualifying the hardness of the 'c', would you prefer 'sickero' or 'kissero'?

Posted By: wwh Re: ciceronian - 01/20/03 05:40 PM
"What's the lover of a married man called?' Amistressl Definition of a ;mistress - something
between a mister and a mattress.
i was surprised dictionary gave no synonym for "cicisbeo". One day I overheard my mother
discussing a socially prominent young man who was the cicisbeo of a locally prominent widow.
She referred to him as Mrs. Soandso;s "accomodator". I nearly fell down the stairs, it struck me
as so funny.

Posted By: dxb Re: ciceronian - 01/20/03 05:45 PM
What's the lover of a married man called? - WW

A butt on the side?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 06:09 PM
Good ol' Kickeroh. I sure won't forget that now that I've learned it.

But everybody around here sure does pronounc good ol' Kickeroh's name: "Sisseroh."

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 06:17 PM
everybody around here sure does pronounce good ol' Kickeroh's name: "Sisseroh."

An I'll betcha they ain' a classical Roman in the bunch.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 06:53 PM
An I'll betcha they ain' a classical Roman in the bunch.

There ain' ennathin' or ennaone that's classical where I live. Closest thin' to even historical--disregarding classical altogether-- is the marker for where the Battle of Five Forks was fought--and you kin stand there and count the five forks to make sure the historians got the count right.

We speak Southern Virginian here. Wanna guess how lots of us pronounce "vegetables"?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cicero = K? - 01/20/03 07:03 PM
Vegehbls?

FWIW What Dr. Bill said about the "proper" way to pronounce Cicero only holds for if you're speaking Classical Latin. Mebbe you'll catch a high school student pernouncin it thataway.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Cicero @vegetables.com - 01/20/03 07:18 PM
Here goes vegetables in Southern Virginian:

VEG''-TUB'-bles

There's a heavy stress on the first syllable, and nearly equivalent heaviness on the second. The second and third syllables of vegetables. pronounced in the Rocky Run dialect of Southern Virginian, rhyme with
bubbles.. No joke. Everytime I hear my mom tell me to go get the vegtubbles and put them on the table, it cracks me up.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cicero @vegetables.com - 01/20/03 07:34 PM
VEG''-TUB'-bles

Sounds about the way we pronounced it in Chicago. And Boston. And Flagstaff. And Santa Ana. And Ithaca. And about every place I lived. How do you think it should be pronounced, Ve jeh tay bles?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Cicero @vegetables.com - 01/20/03 08:41 PM
It cracks me up to hear people say veg-uh-TAH-bles.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/20/03 10:05 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Cicero @vegetables.com - 01/21/03 01:16 AM
How Cicero got the name, from Brewer:
Cicero So called from the Latin, cicer (a wart or vetch). Plutarch says “a flat excrescence on the
tip of his nose gave him this name.”

chickpea
n.
1 a bushy annual plant (Cicer arietinum) of the pea family, with short, hairy pods containing usually two seeds; garbanzo
2 the edible seed

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Gilbert@vegetables.com - 01/21/03 10:00 PM
It cracks me up to hear people say veg-uh-TAH-bles.

"...It's a scheme of devices to get at low prices
All good from cough-mixtures to cables
{Which tickled the sailors) by treating retailers
As though they were all ve-ge-ta'-bles..."

W S Gilbert, the "Nightmare Song," in Iolanthe

(Tay'-bles, tah'-bles, let's call the whole thing off!)

© Wordsmith.org