Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh illeist - 10/29/02 02:07 PM
Can you think of a more famous illeist than Caesar, with never an "ego"
in rather long book?
Though not so in letters: veni,vidi,vici.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: illeist - 10/29/02 08:00 PM

Can you think of a more famous illeist than Caesar, with never an "eog"
in rather long book?
Though not so in letters: veni,vidi,vici.

I don't understand the "eog" reference.

SNL was hilarious making fun of Bob Dole's illeism.

k

Posted By: Faldage Re: illeist - 10/29/02 08:13 PM
don't understand the "eog" reference

Typo for ego.

Posted By: wwh Re: illeist - 10/29/02 08:31 PM
Thanks, Faldage.

Posted By: Faldage Re: illeist - 10/29/02 10:34 PM
Any time, Dr. Bill.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: illeist - 10/31/02 03:36 PM

I haven't read a lot of books, Bill, and no complete latin texts.

I'll make a wild guess at Cicero. I'm dying to know who it really is.

k

Posted By: wwh Re: illeist - 10/31/02 03:49 PM
Only book written by Caesar that I know of "GALLIA est omnis divisa in partes tres..."
Alway it is "Caesar did...", never "I did..."

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: illeist - 10/31/02 04:59 PM

Only book written by Caesar that I know of "GALLIA est omnis divisa in partes tres..." Alway it is "Caesar did...", never "I did..."

As is common, I completely missed that this was a rhetorical challenge and took it literally to think of an illeist more famous than Caesar - and failed.

I don't remember too much Latin, though I did translate a few dozen pages on the gallic wars. I remembered it as ... and I'm pretty I read it as "Omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est..." (not that exact word order means a hell of a lot in latin, but it's the principle of the thing.) I checked on the web just now and both phraseologies are present, but the presumably actual latin is as you conveyed in your post. This leads me to think that what I translated those years ago was not the real mccoy. I can't remember a single thing except for that first line ... literally, not one thing, and now I find that that is not even correct. God, what a rip.

k

Posted By: boronia Re: illeist - 11/05/02 01:39 PM
Can you think of a more famous illeist than Caesar

Last night I read the following sentence: "That is why ... the great Life of Clarendon is narrated in a Caesarian third person." I wouldn't have had a clue what that meant, but for this thread. I've never thought of Caesarian as anything but a C-section. Good to learn something new every day!

Posted By: wwh Re: illeist - 11/05/02 02:23 PM
Well, boronia, I don't know who Clarendon was. Except for a street in Boston. So now I
have something to look up. Thanks, Bill

Encyclopeida says:
Clarendon, Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of (1609-74), English statesman and historian, born in Dinton, and educated at the University of Oxford. Hyde practiced law and, in 1640, entered Parliament. In 1645 he represented Charles I, king of England, in an unsuccessful attempt to end the first English Civil War (see English Revolution). The following year Hyde became adviser to the future king Charles II and went into exile with him until the restoration of the monarchy in 1660. Hyde was created a baron the same year and was made an earl in 1661. He served as lord chancellor from 1660 to 1667, giving his name to the Clarendon Code, which imposed restrictions on religious dissenters. He was dismissed from office after his negotiation of the unpopular Treaty of Breda, which concluded the Second Anglo-Dutch War. Clarendon then left for France, where he spent the rest of his life writing. His posthumously published History of the Rebellion (3 vol., 1702-4) is the best contemporary account of the English civil wars.
Clarendon's eldest daughter, Anne Hyde, married the duke of York, who in 1685 became King James II.

"Clarendon, Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of," Microsoft(R) Encarta(R) 98 Encyclopedia. (c) 1993-1997 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

© Wordsmith.org