Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Littljoe Another question - 09/30/02 05:16 AM
Here I am with another question. What is the term for a word or phrase in which the second half is the reverse of the first, like the word "redder"? And does anyone have any good examples?

The only real way to look younger is not to be born so soon. -- Charles Schulz
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Another question - 09/30/02 06:25 AM
What is the term for a word or phrase in which the second half is the reverse of the first

A palindrome? Or am I missing something?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Another question - 09/30/02 10:11 AM
Well, you have even order palindromes such as redder and odd order ones such as radar. Beyond that...

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Another question - 09/30/02 10:16 AM
I think the question is whether or not there is a special word for a single word that is palindromic, as opposed to a phrase or sentence.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Another question - 09/30/02 11:32 AM
I dunno, Alex. Littljoe does ask in terms of a word or phrase. so I'm confused, too....

Posted By: Littljoe Re: Another question - 09/30/02 05:20 PM
Sorry to confuse everyone. Yeah, I guess I'm asking about "even number" palindromes--words or phrases where you can, metaphorically speaking, plop a mirror down right in the middle. I thought there might be a different word for those, but perhaps just even number palindrome will do.

The only real way to look younger is not to be born so soon. -- Charles Schulz
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Another question - 10/01/02 01:45 AM
Well, if we're talking about plopping mirrors, then maybe an ambigram. I think that's backwards and upside-down but.

© Wordsmith.org