Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh ex post facto - 05/13/02 05:14 PM
Doolally drives me doolally. How about another term from the Constitution - which prohibits
the passage of any ex post facto law. You can't be prosecuted for an act committed prior to
the passage of the law forbidding it having been passed. The site where I checked this has an
interesting word: "xenodochy" which it defines as "hospitality to strangers".

Posted By: tsuwm Re: ex post facto - 05/13/02 07:21 PM
well, then there is xenodochiophobia, which is the fear of foreign hospitality, or worry about foreign hotels.

(doesn't everyone?)
Posted By: AphonicRants Re: ex post facto - 05/14/02 01:42 AM
And of course, xenophobia = fear of strangers or foreigners

Posted By: AphonicRants Re: ex post facto - 05/14/02 02:03 AM
As long as we're exercising our minds, I mention that one on-line dictionary notes:

xanthodontous adj. Having yellow teeth. Included here only because of its interest to abecedarians, being the only remotely deprecatory adjective know[n] to the author that begins with x.

The dictionary author is apparently ignorant of the classics and hence unacquainted with xantippean.

Posted By: wwh Re: ex post facto - 05/14/02 03:31 PM
xanthodontous will never make it into a toothpaste ad. Remember "You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent". Which quickly got changed to "You'll wonder where your enamel went, if you brush your teeth with Pepsodent."

Posted By: wwh Re: ex post facto - 05/14/02 03:33 PM
And then there is "xylodontia". George Washington had some missing teeth replaced with wooden pegs.

Posted By: Faldage Re: ex post facto - 05/14/02 04:30 PM
xanthodontous will never make it into a toothpaste ad.

But ecru did.

© Wordsmith.org