Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh A word for Sunday - 04/07/02 09:28 PM
An article in New Scientist about improving acoustics while repairing mosques in Istanbul, uses an old word in an appealing new way, saying the scientists have accumulated knowledge enough that "they can lobby future restoration teams to make sure that ---as far as possible---the acoustic end up as [the architect] intended,"

I think that "lobby" was originally American slang. Interesting to see in a Brit magazine. The editor must have been asleep.

Posted By: Bingley Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 11:57 AM
As a verb it may originally have been American slang Dr. Bill, but it's long been naturalised. For some examples look through this sample of pieces google had from the UK.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1CA42AA
Thanks to max for advanced googling and shorter links

Bingley
Posted By: wwh Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 02:47 PM
Dear Bingley: The word "lobby" ususually refers to efforts to change legislastion. I was just surprised to see it used meaning to influence a few people.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 03:47 PM
yes, bill, we know all about your issues with sense transferral. ; )

()
Posted By: wwh Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 04:15 PM
Dear tsuwm. It has always been manifest that you know more than I do.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 04:30 PM
hrm, it's not always that obvious to me.

-ron

()
Posted By: wwh Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 07:01 PM
Dear tsuwm: but it is to the rest of the Board.

Posted By: Faldage Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 07:08 PM
it is to the rest of the Board

Not to this rest it ain't.

Posted By: Keiva Re: A word for Sunday - 04/11/02 09:23 PM
paraphasing http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=64066:

tsuwm, dr. bill and faldage, these three, are in a class by themselves among the great, and it is not for ordinary mortals to attempt to range them in order of merit.

Posted By: wwh Re: A word for Sunday - 04/12/02 12:14 AM
Thanks fellows, but you forget Shanks whose shoe latchets I am unworthy to tie, and many others.

© Wordsmith.org