Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 02:28 AM
In another word site, I encountered a word that should by all of us be heard:
"epeolatry" = the worship of words. One of tsuwm's wwftd I should have hijacked long ago.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 03:44 AM
There's only two listings for epeolatry on OneLook, and one of them is tswum's Worthless Word for the Day! Go Mike! That's the first time I've seen it there!

From one Happy Epeolatrist to another...!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 04:21 AM
>There's only two listing for epeolatry...

that's swell, of course, but the ones I like to brag about are the ones that Forthright missed.

(j/k)
Posted By: wwh Re: A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 03:05 PM
Dear tsuwm: To put the ball back into your court, "epeo-" ought be the root of more than one word. Forthright does not list any others. How about finding some for us?

Signals over: I just remembered one tsuwm used over a year ago: "orthoepy"= study of pronunciation.
How about some more?

"cacoepy" is so obvious it doesn't count.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 05:32 PM
as you may have suspected, bill, we are going to be hard-pressed to find the epeo sequence anywhere else outside of repeople, depeople, gentlepeople, etc. for some reason epos[?] couldn't compete with logos (although we do have epoist, epomania, epopee and epopeia).

heteroepy is pronunciation differing from the standard; comicoepy is stretching the point.

(thanx bill)
Posted By: Keiva Re: A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 07:47 PM
"cacoepy" is so obvious

Only on this board could such a statement be made! ROTFLMAO.

Posted By: wwh Re: A word for Saturday - 04/07/02 07:56 PM
"Caco-" has some interesting linguistic ramifications. My mother used "ChKKKK" sound to mean feces. Khaki as a fabric color came from an Urdu word that I suspect was related. And anything "caco-" is shitty.
My friends of the sixpoint star used to jeer me with "Mendel, Mendel karch (sp?) im Pfändel"

© Wordsmith.org